Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister took her 2yo for vax's yesterday and emailed me today saying he woke up with a lump and won't walk on his leg. To quote, "It's hard red and swollen and he feels warm. He just keeps saying bo-bo and crying." She's asking me what I think.

I'm just getting into the vax thing, and I want to tell her it's probably a reaction to the aluminum in the vax (I don't yet know which one(s) she gave him), but I wanted to check here first. What would you say to her if you were me?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Well I really hope the wee ones leg improves real soon, I am just a learner on the in-depth vax issues but yes it looks like he's reacting all right. You could just say to your sis that it's likely a reaction and try and get her to find out more about vaxes after her child is able to use his leg again, there are many knowledgeable moms on mdc who will be able to help with whats actually going on regards the swelling and from what I've read so far it should go down but that sucks, I'm sick of this whole vax thing why should kids be put at risk? obviously you can support your sis and help her to find out what she can do to alleviate the pain and I really hope all will be well soon.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I'd say it's a reaction and needs to be reported to VAERS. BUT the drs. will tell her it's not and it's normal and tell her to give tylenol. Tylenol should NOT be given. Do a quick search here for more info.

-Angela

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there anything she can do for the pain if Tylenol is a no-no?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I shall try and find out what will help to reduce the swelling and Angela is right it should be reported and the tylenol definitely not used as I have read many times on mdc that this masks true temperature . I'm sorry, I should be more help but don't want to offer any herbs for a vax reaction as I know so little about the healing approach for vax reactions.Sis will need to keep a good eye on ds and his temperature,general mood,poor wee guy, hope swelling goes soon.There's a woman on another thread who has had a very sore arm after tetanus vax and could hardly move it,apparently it can take some time to become mobile again.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leiahs
I don't yet know which one(s) she gave him
Please post when you find out, but I'll bet it was Hepatitis A, unless she delays --- then it could have been others.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have checked out an old homeopathy book which says that Guillain Barre Syndrome, sudden inflammation of the peripheral nerves of the body(those outside the brain and spinal cord), thought to be an allergic reaction to a viral illness or to vaccination.Dont know enough about this but it reads that Thuja 30c every 12 hours(not sure about childs dose please find out if your sis is gonna try this remedy from a pro)Aconite is advised if there is breathing difficulties(I think that is derived from deadly nightshade) also echinacea which is a wonderful remedy for increasing immune-systems health,as I said am not up on all this but love plants so please seek counsel from someone in the know,second book I enquired from also suggests Thuja for specific injection site swelling,so as you say sisters ds is reacting at the injection site and if he is not getting cramp stiffness elsewhere then perhaps it is more localised than this description of GB syndrome which seems to indicate a more serious reaction with symptoms in hands and feet spreading to rest of body and resulting in paralysis and possibly affecting breathing which is dangerous.I guess your nephews localised swelling would benefit from something to help the pain and reduce swelling.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by forthebest
I have checked out an old homeopathy book which says that Guillain Barre Syndrome, sudden inflammation of the peripheral nerves of the body(those outside the brain and spinal cord), thought to be an allergic reaction to a viral illness or to vaccination.
GBS is actually a recognized and federally compensatable vaccine reaction.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Yeah it's a really old book,so LI( your posts are amazing by the way) is GBS what would be called vaccination reaction? is a localized swelling the same as that? and what do you think can be done to help?

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by forthebest
Yeah it's a really old book,so LI( your posts are amazing by the way) is GBS what would be called vaccination reaction? is a localized swelling the same as that? and what do you think can be done to help?

GBS is an adverse reaction - it is not considered a contraindication though. It's officially a "precaution" for DTaP and influenza vaccines, but certainly not limited to those two however in terms of incidence.

I'm not sure about localized swelling being a variation of GBS, but hopefully you'll get some opinions on that from others.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, she let me know what vax he got. The best she could tell me was that it was "something for ear infections". GAH! Unless I'm mistaken, that's Prevnar, right? She also mentioned that this is the ...3rd? time he's gotten this shot, and the first time he's had a rection (and said, "Don't you think that's strange??"...well, no, not really, sis...).

ETA: when she replied again she also said that he was moving his leg more, after a bath, but was still not walking normally.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Yes, they market Prevnar as the ear infection vaccine, despite the fact that they've been told not to do that, because it doesn't prevent ear infections. Unfortunately, my doc talked me into it by saying it was a meningitis vaccine. I *wish* she would've said it was for ear infections - then I wouldn't have done it!

Anyway, Prevnar is very reactive, and causes all kinds of problems. Reactions tend to get worse as you continue the series, so that's not strange at all. It probably *isn't* an allergy, but that's the only way you can explain it to some people. You can tell her, "It's like an allergy. You have to be exposed to something a time or two before you can become allergic to it. This is kind of the same thing."

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
In summary, the Committee concluded that data derived from two efficacy trials are adequate to demonstrate efficacy of Prevnar® against AOM caused by vaccine serotype. However, the committee expressed concern about the low efficacy (7%) of the vaccine against AOM regardless of etiology and concluded that substantial clinical benefit of Prevnar in reducing AOM regardless of etiology had not been demonstrated.

The Committee cautioned against including an indication statement as proposed by the sponsor into the label and suggested using qualifying language if an indication for AOM regardless of etiology were to be added. Committee members cautioned against promoting prevention of AOM as a benefit of Prevnar in direct-to-consumer advertising because of concerns about unrealistic public expectations.

The Committee was concerned that promoting Prevnar as an "AOM vaccine" could potentially compromise confidence in the existing recommendations for the vaccine and trust in the labeling that FDA puts on a vaccine.

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/...tes/3854m1.doc

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks LI. I'll pass that quote onto my sis for sure! Holy cow....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts