Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my time working in child care, I've seen a few intact boys. One of them has sisters older than him - now they're all in grade school together. I've always wondered whether sisters who have intact brothers, when they grow up & have kids, how likely they are to leave future sons intact, since that's what they grew up with?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I get so worn down over the fact that my bodily autonomy was not and STILL IS NOT respected by law. I can't believe we're still talking about this.

No medical association endorses universal circumcision. Informed adults can decide for themselves about losing half the pleasure-receptive surface from the genitals.

·
Registered
992 Posts
During my time working in child care, I've seen a few intact boys. One of them has sisters older than him - now they're all in grade school together. I've always wondered whether sisters who have intact brothers, when they grow up & have kids, how likely they are to leave future sons intact, since that's what they grew up with?
I think that is highly likely, because most children, boys or girls, are horrified when they learn about circumcision. They are able to view the issue objectively, without prior conditioning . My sister, who has three circumcised brothers did not circumcise her son and to this day is horrified that some parents will mutilate their sons without giving it a thought.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I get so worn down over the fact that my bodily autonomy was not and STILL IS NOT respected by law. I can't believe we're still talking about this.

No medical association endorses universal circumcision. Informed adults can decide for themselves about losing half the pleasure-receptive surface from the genitals.
I hear you, Ron! I'm in the same boat - I still feel horribly violated and angry at what was done to me. It totally flies in the face of any logic.

On the one hand we have a medical community making a LOT of money from perpetuating circumcision, where only the ethical ones will make any effort to support parents opting to keep their son whole. And on the other hand we have the religious lobby squawking very loudly every time someone suggests a ban until the boy reaches the age of majority when he can decide for himself. In my opinion what they do is nothing short of coercion.

Finally, the Government is breaking it's own laws by having a ban on FGM, but endorsing MGM, which violates the guarantee of equality regardless of race, gender etc. Unbelievable and very frustrating.

·
Registered
137 Posts
All my brothers are intact. I would never circumcise a baby. If an older boy (teenager) or man wanted to be circumcised, that might be something to consider. A teen can speak for himself and voice his opinion. A man can choose his own medical care. A baby cannot choose. Circumcision of a baby is a violation of human rights, IMO. In the west, people are so against female circumcision, and yet regularly circumcise boys. It makes no sense. There is no justifiable reason to circumcise a baby. It is cosmetic surgery. I see it as child abuse.

·
Registered
992 Posts
All my brothers are intact. I would never circumcise a baby. If an older boy (teenager) or man wanted to be circumcised, that might be something to consider. A teen can speak for himself and voice his opinion. A man can choose his own medical care. A baby cannot choose. Circumcision of a baby is a violation of human rights, IMO. In the west, people are so against female circumcision, and yet regularly circumcise boys. It makes no sense. There is no justifiable reason to circumcise a baby. It is cosmetic surgery. I see it as child abuse.
I love your very logical viewpoint! I agree that once a male is over the age of majority - in most cases , 18 - then they can choose to do what they like with their body. If that is circumcision, then they will have made the choice for themselves with full knowledge of the consequences.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I am hoping this will be the case with my daughter. She'll find it horrific anyway, but with 3 brothers who have had zero issues being intact I'm not sure she'll remotely cave to the scare tactics of infection.
You don't say how old your daughter is, but at some point a conversation might be appropriate to explain your thoughts and beliefs and what led you to leave her brothers whole. That way she'll have ready and well thought out answers should the topic arise with her peers. Not only that but she'll be educating other potential mothers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Around where I live it’s about 50/50. I think people tend to do what they know, although this is not always a rule. However there’s a lot more info out there and available discussion than ever before so perhaps when the young ladies grow up they’ll make different decisions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts