Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6194374

"Two days after 13 Investigates uncovered hidden facts about two Raymond Park Middle School students engaging in sexual activity during shop class, Warren Township School administrators still aren't talking. The report is raising questions nationwide...."

"Associate School Superintendent Dr. Jeff Swensson confirmed the incident happened almost four months ago in an Industrial Arts lab with the teacher present. He told 13 Investigates another child acted as a "look-out," disputing an insider's claim that as many as ten children may have witnessed the act. More than two parents who called the district say they were told the incident only lasted 30 seconds."

: Sixth Graders?? Teacher present. How old are you in 6 Grade, like 11 or 12?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
I'm not surprised at all. I know people who were having sex in 6th grade, and I knew someone who got fired because he took his students (7th graders, I think) to the zoo on a field trip and didn't chaperone them, and a girl ended up pregnant. She told her parents she got pregnant "over by the monkey house".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,885 Posts
Pretty scary, huh? Whether or not anyone thinks 11/12 year olds should be having sex, I hope we can at least agree that they shouldn't be doing in school in front of other kids.

Although it is mdc, so who knows
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,115 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Pretty scary, huh? Whether or not anyone thinks 11/12 year olds should be having sex, I hope we can at least agree that they shouldn't be doing in school in front of other kids.

Although it is mdc, so who knows

Why would anyone [on MDC] advocate children having sex?, especially 11/12 year olds?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,010 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by barose View Post
Why would anyone [on MDC] advocate children having sex?, especially 11/12 year olds?
it is a poke at the 'natural exploration' believers.

And not advocating anything but they used to marry off their 13 year old daughters to 45 year old lords not too long ago.

Waiting until 20's to get married is a 'relatively' new concept to the world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,599 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kama'aina mama View Post
They didn't say Vagina, did they?
:
:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
I'm not surprised at all. I know people who were having sex in 6th grade, and I knew someone who got fired because he took his students (7th graders, I think) to the zoo on a field trip and didn't chaperone them, and a girl ended up pregnant. She told her parents she got pregnant "over by the monkey house".
: ... by the monkey house? ok that's pretty funny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
993 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
Hmmm can't figure out why that's so funny. I actually find it pretty sad.
It would be really funny if it was adults and not seventh graders!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by barose View Post
Why would anyone [on MDC] advocate children having sex?, especially 11/12 year olds?
I have seen a few that do.

Either way, I think that this is very sad. No matter if 15 year olds were married off 100 years ago, the fact is that these kids today "mature" a lot later to be responsible adults. It's the equivalent, IMHO of an 8 yo getting it on 100 years ago.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,640 Posts
I remember back in 6th grade there were students that would do sexual activities. I'm not shocked. I am shocked however that this is suddenly being noticed. If stuff like this happened back when I was in 6th grade- some 11 odd years ago- I don't understand why the public is suddenly becoming outraged. It should have been noticed and acted upon a decade ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,832 Posts
one of my very closest friends started having sex when he was 11... and quite a few of my female friends were sexually active (some not by choice
) by the time they were 12.

this is one of the primary reasons i'm for earlier sex education and awareness about protection and *safe* sex discussions, not abstinence-only! it really scares me that kids are doing this without adequate knowledge of how to stop the spread of disease. (obviously pregnancy is a huge concern as well but i'm far more terrified that my children will contract AIDS or Syphilis than that they'll wind up pregnant at a young age!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
I remember back in 6th grade there were students that would do sexual activities. I'm not shocked. I am shocked however that this is suddenly being noticed. If stuff like this happened back when I was in 6th grade- some 11 odd years ago- I don't understand why the public is suddenly becoming outraged. It should have been noticed and acted upon a decade ago.

Well that makes perfect sense.
: So, because it was just recently brought to public light, even though it has gone on for ages, it's not worthy of outrage? Worthy of doing something to prevent as many further occurrences as possible? Maybe that is not how you meant that?

Oh, and stuff like this did happen when I was in jr. high, so 7th/8th grade but that was 30 yrs ago.
:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
I remember back in 6th grade there were students that would do sexual activities. I'm not shocked. I am shocked however that this is suddenly being noticed. If stuff like this happened back when I was in 6th grade- some 11 odd years ago- I don't understand why the public is suddenly becoming outraged. It should have been noticed and acted upon a decade ago.

YES.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,984 Posts


The comments are interesting.

There is one person who thinks this is a private matter (students involved, parents of those students and the principal and that's it). Everyone else is "nosy" and she fears that the children involved will be "outed" and that will ruin their lives.

I disagree with that opinion. As a parent I would want to know WTH is going on in the school.

And, like a PP said... so we can be realistic about what's going on and how to address it.

yes, no?

NEVERMIND... I answered my own question.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,640 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten View Post
this is one of the primary reasons i'm for earlier sex education and awareness about protection and *safe* sex discussions, not abstinence-only! it really scares me that kids are doing this without adequate knowledge of how to stop the spread of disease. (obviously pregnancy is a huge concern as well but i'm far more terrified that my children will contract AIDS or Syphilis than that they'll wind up pregnant at a young age!)
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top