Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my last appointment on Monday my MW gave me a sz estimate for fun, at 30 weeks my DD is supposedly about 4lbs. That seems big to me, and yes I know it's just an estimate! Although I have had feelings that lead me to believe I will in fact have an 8 or 9 lb baby. And nope I have no problems with that at all, I believe in my body's ability to deliver a nice sized chunky monkey. The comments I get from people are funny though, they think it means automatic C-Section
Then I tell them DD 1 was 7lbs 10oz! They also seem to think since I am 5'1" and 94 lbs pre preg that I am an automatic section...WTH? So I guess my main question is, were you instincts about sz right? Mine were also right about DD 1 weight and sex....
Anyways this is me at 29 weeks
People constantly ask if I am having twins and are in disbelief that it is a sigleton, or that I have all the way till feb!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...985/dec022.jpg
Link
Now lets hope this works!

·
Registered
621 Posts
this is a great question!

I read a study recently, that documented, that for women having their second (or more) baby, the woman's intuition on the size/weight of her little one was as accurate, IF NOT MORE ACCURATE, than ultrasounds, or care providers' estimates from Leopold's manuevers (when they feel your abdomen from different angles to determine position and size)

Here is one link to such a study!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...t=AbstractPlus

Happy baby to you! Whatever the size, it will be just right!

Sharon

·
Registered
226 Posts
With my daughter, from the time she was conceived, we were expecting an 8 to 9 pound child. Based on my size, my husband's size, our birth sizes and birth orders. Ultrasound, combined with information about my husband and my size at birth and our birth order, my OBs concurred with that estimate. I mentally prepared myself for the birth of an up-to-ten-pound baby, though I also knew there was no way for me to KNOW if my baby were going to be bigger, prior to her birth.

She was 8lbs 13oz, 20". And a great birth.

With my son, I was expecting him to be bigger, because he was my second, and because he moved so much more and such firmer kicks than my daughter. He was bigger, but was not heavier- he was 22" long, and only 8lbs 8oz. When I lifted him the first time, I said, "I think he weighs less than B did?" I was kind of disappointed to not break 9 pounds.

This baby, I am hoping to break 9lbs. And have mentioned that. And have gotten very odd looks.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Mine were right about weight and length. I don't know how these women who have 15 lbers are surprised. I mean I feel the weight with a 9 lber. If 9 lbs feels that heavy how heavy would a 15 lber feel?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have no idea about size or anything only having one with the second on the way, but I have a feeling this baby will be bigger then the last, so we'll have to see. I really just wanted to post and tell you how cute your belly is!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thefarmerswife View Post
I have no idea about size or anything only having one with the second on the way, but I have a feeling this baby will be bigger then the last, so we'll have to see. I really just wanted to post and tell you how cute your belly is!!!

TY! I am just really curious to see how big this baby is gonna be!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I was completely wrong in my guess for DD (but she was my first, so I had no basis for comparison). I was thinking around 8-9 lbs. She was born 6lbs 4oz. Way smaller than either DH or I were (7+ and 8+, respectively).

·
Registered
557 Posts
My first was 8lbs. I didn't guess with him, because I had not idea. I assumed the next one would be around the same. He was 2 oz and 1/2" larger. I am thinking this one will be 8lbs 5 oz. and the same length. In a month or less I will know for sure.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The only person who acurately gauged ds was my mw, who would spend about 15 min feeling his position, size, etc. She told me an estimated length that was an 1.5 inches longer than his actual length, and she said no more than 9 lb...he was 8 lb 13. She could tell me where his head and feet were and how he was laying...and that he wasn't very chunky. And, he wasn't!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I thought my daughter would be about 8lbs and she was 7lbs 12oz. I'm 32 weeks right now and I'm guessing this one will be a little bigger, but not huge.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I was totally wrong. DS was 7#7.5oz, 21.5 in, and was born 2 weeks before his EDD. I was expecting him to be 3 or so days past, and appx 10 lbs. Way off! Maybe because I was trying to prepare for a long pregnancy and a big baby?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I was expecting DD to be bigger, 8.5 +, but she was 7lbs 14 oz, terrifically average, which honestly, for natural birth, I just want average
he he he This baby I don't feel will be bigger, at least not at this point. Maybe around the same.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
NO ONE correctly guessed the size of my second. My first was 8 lbs 2 weeks early. My second, born on his edd, 10 lbs 10 oz and a 15 1/4" head. I measured a week or two behind consistenly all pregnancy.

You never know!

·
Registered
47 Posts
For my first, I thought probably slightly on the bigger side, since I did the Brewer diet and knew that women who do tend to have average to above average sized babes; she was 8 lbs, 21.5". For my second, I figured 9+, but she did suprise us a little at 10 lbs 5 oz, 23.5", at 41 wks 4 days. I was due this past Thurs. with baby #3. My gut feeling is a big baby but not quite as big as #2. I am, as always, doing the Brewer diet, but this time, I had some borderline blood sugars around 28 weeks and have since almost completely cut sugar/sweeteners out of my diet. I am guessing somewhere right around 10 lbs. We'll see any day now! ;0)

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
With my first I guessed between 7.5 and 8.5 lbs, he was almost 9. I'm proud of big babies, over 8 lbs and my gut says good job growing and birthing that one so well. Under 7 lbs and I feel scared and sorry for the baby. It's somewhat irrational but so is this fear of big babes, and thinking they can't come out normally under regular circumstances! Same with looking as big or bigger than average while pregnant, maybe people are just shocked because their standards are set differently, but they really should keep their exclamations (twins, triplets, must be ready to pop, wow you're huge, etc) to themselves!

·
Registered
498 Posts
You are tooooooo cute... I LOVE your belly - so perfect! Oh it makes me miss being pregnant! I guess that means I'm about ready for #2!!

I was super wrong about my DS - he was 6lbs. 2 oz. and I was ready for a much bigger baby. I was big (not huge) and gained 30 pounds, so I just figured I had a big baby in there. I was wrong. I had just eaten a lot of Dairy Queen.

I was close to 10lbs and my husband was 7+ pounds, so we thought we'd have a bigger baby. I also thought I'd go closer to my due date - but I went into labor at 37 1/2 weeks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
NO ONE correctly guessed the size of my second. My first was 8 lbs 2 weeks early. My second, born on his edd, 10 lbs 10 oz and a 15 1/4" head. I measured a week or two behind consistenly all pregnancy.

You never know!
wow!! i have measured a week behind this whole pregnancy, just like my first. DD was born @ 6lbs.11oz, and I was assuming because I am "behind" again that I would have another small baby!! apperently thats not always the case!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.