Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds (4 now, but will be 5 by next summer) really wants a skateboard. One of the neighborhood kids has one (he is 10) and ds thinks it is the neatest thing. For Christmas we usually buy toys that they can play with outside, since that is where we spend most of our time when it is not raining. I am thinking of buying him one for Christmas, nothing too expensive but something where the trucks, hook-ups, deck, ect. are all together (I am trying to remember "lingo" from the days when I was younger and used to go out skating). Anyways, do you think he is too young for a skateboard? Anyone have a dc that is 4 or 5 and can skate? He will of course have on a helmet and pads, I know he will get a bit banged up, what I am worried about is, will he get really frustrated because he cant get the hang of it.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
My kids both had skateboards from day one and both could skate some by age 3.

It's worth the money to buy a board from a skateshop rather than one from Walmart or something. Those ones warp and break and the wheels just don't turn like they should. (me = hopeless with the lingo
)

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkrawkmama27 View Post
what I am worried about is, will he get really frustrated because he cant get the hang of it.
Maybe. But that's ok
Encourage him a lot, buy him a couple cool skateboarding mags and posters and tell him his tricks are "sweet". My guys both rode down little hills at the skate-park on their knees for quite some time before they started standing.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamajama View Post

It's worth the money to buy a board from a skateshop rather than one from Walmart or something. Those ones warp and break and the wheels just don't turn like they should. (me = hopeless with the lingo
)
Same here. My oldest got a hand board (I think that's what its called, looks like a small board?) when he was 1 and got a full size board at 5. I'd got to a skate shop too. He's quite good at it in my opinion.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Even if he doesn't get the hang of it, he'll still enjoy playing with it. My kids bought used boards from neighborhood kids, and have really enjoyed playing with skateboards. They did teach themselves the basics- how to start, go without falling, how to stop, how to do a few very simple tricks. But before they did that they'd sit on the skateboard and ride it down the driveway, that sort of thing.

I don't think your DS is too young for a skateboard.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
I think it's fine. Enforce the helmet strictly, though. A grown boy (20 or so) in my neighborhood died this summer after falling and hitting his head. I cringe now whenever I see skaters and cyclists w/o helmets.

If you think he'll be frustrated with the skateboard maybe a razor scooter to start? I think a skateboard is fine, though, if that's what he's wanting.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Both of my boys have thier own boards... we all skate, so they got them young. I agree with the suggestion of getting a proper setup at a skate shop. It is more expensive but you are supporting a local business which is great! The board will last ( even if it goes mostly unused) until he is older which is nice! My 5 year old like to ride on the front of the longboard with his dad most of all though! safety gear is key!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I'm all for it. My 2.5 yr old has a skateboard and he loves it! He's actually pretty good on it. He loves getting all his "skateboard stuff" on -- pads, helmet, the whole deal. He loves it. Of course, he gets frustrated with it sometimes, but that's a normal part of learning new skills.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Absolutely! My son got his at 3. he loves it. I agree with the others - go to a shop and get a good one and get one that is sized for him. My son has a smaller one that makes it easier for him than the bigger ones.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I would definitely get one for him....they encourage gross motor skills. If you think he will just get frustrated if he cannot do it, maybe try a switchboard to start. It has a handle that easily folds down and looks like a regular skateboard. They are pretty inexpensive, and it might give him a little extra stability to learn.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Totally. We're going to get DD one at some point because she loves skating with her dad.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Only you can say if your DS is ready. As you can see from posts here some kids are ready way before 5 yo, but then there are 8, 9, 10 yo whom I would not trust on a skateboard.

There is the basic question of can he simply do it at all, but then there are other questions you need to consider as well: Will he be good about wearing his gear? Will he be realistic about his own level? Will he use reasonable judgement about when and where to skate? Will he let peer preasure override his judgement?

Only you and your DP know your DS well enough to answer these questions.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My 7 yr old got one at the age of 5 and has done wonderfully. My kids' cousin has been skating since about 3 and is 5 now doing all kinds of tricks and such.

·
Registered
13 Posts

It's worth the money to buy a board from a skate shop rather than one from Walmart or something. Those ones warp and break and the wheels just don't turn as they should. (me = hopeless with the lingo
)
Hello. My wreckless 5-year-old son wants a skateboard. He knows nothing about them except that he enjoyed a quick go on a wooden one.
What should I buy him and any advice?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts