Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better than a RAST and less painful than a RAST ? What allergens would they check for these kids this age ? How long does it take if we end up having testing done at 9 am ?<br><br>
Since Brendan has had off and on coughs we decided to try to find out if he's allergic to our cat, dogs, pollen other things and some food items .<br><br>
Will they only do one thing or do various testing things with the skin testing ?

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
When my DD1 had the skin testing done, they asked her questions about symptoms, whether we had any pets, special time of year, etc. and based it on that (she didn't have any food issues to test for). Then they did the scratch testing, one set on each arm (maybe 10 on each arm?). I think she had to wait 15 minutes for the reaction. Then they put a benadryl type gel on the reactions, and she went back to school. Maybe an hour for the whole thing. She was probably 8 when she had it done.<br><br>
We had intradermal testing for the other two, where they actually inject the allergen under the skin in 3 graduated doses. Those were foods and seasonal allergies for DS, just food for DD2. They were 6 and 2 at the time I think.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts