Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse the back-to-back posts, but as I said, I'm out to get rid of all commercial products!

I'm looking for a good skin cleanser for skin that is prone to breakouts (not necessarily active acne all the time, but the slightest change in regime can cause mega zits). Any recs?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well... this is not a homemade remedy, but it has worked wonders for me...

It's called Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash...

here are the ingredients:

Castile soap, olive oil, coconut oil, organic tea tree oil (melaleuca alternifolia), extracts of matricaria (chamomile), goldenseal, awapuhi (hawaiian white ginger), bladderwrack, essential oil of palmarosa, petitgrain, organic lavandine super and peppermint oil.

I found it at Trader Joe's, but it is also carried by VitaminShoppe.com, and in my local HFS. It also comes in a 32 oz. refill size, which is nice.

I have been following it up with the Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Cleansing Pads.

here are those ingredients:

Witch hazel, organic grain alcohol, eco-harvest tea tree oil (melaleuca alternifoliia), organic calendula, organic chamomile german, organic lavender spike & organic lemongrass oil, extracts of chamomile, goldenseal, hawaiian white ginger & bladderwrack & neem oil.

So... even though they are still store bought products, they seem to be much more natural than the other supposed "natural" face products I have seen.

BTW, I have very fair skin, and when I breakout, the redness seems to stay forever! I was having continuous breakouts (especially chin & lower cheek area), and have tried everything... Proactiv, Nutrogena, really $$$$ dept. store stuff, the list goes on and on. These two products have totally helped more then everything. My skin is almost at the point where I can go without makeup! (And I have never been able to do that!) Plus, these products are very affordable...

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I just use some Dr. Bronners diluted with water in a foaming hand pump (I use an old Dial one) and I've found it works great (and the foam keeps it from dripping all over). I sometimes add a little tea tree or lavender. Then occasionally afterwards (while my face is still wet) I rub in a few drop of GSE. This seems to really help, as well as make my skin softer and smoother looking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maeve
I just use some Dr. Bronners diluted with water in a foaming hand pump (I use an old Dial one) and I've found it works great (and the foam keeps it from dripping all over). I sometimes add a little tea tree or lavender. Then occasionally afterwards (while my face is still wet) I rub in a few drop of GSE. This seems to really help, as well as make my skin softer and smoother looking.

What brand of GSE do you recommend? I have been hesitant to purchase GSE only b/c I really don't know too much about it... and don't know what makes one brand better then another, etc. Eeeek!

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I agree, that's the kind I get. And when you go to look at it, it might seem like a lot of money, but it lasts *forever*!

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
my skin used to be really acne prone too, as a teen i was on several prescription treatments.

read "blue eyeshadow should absolutely be illegal" by paula begoun. it's a great book ... after switching to washing with nothing but baking soda paste, boom! my skin cleared! after 10 years of acne!

then a few weeks ago i adapted an oatmeal "cleansing grains" recipe from someone here at mdc and liked it so much i use it exclusively now and once again my skin improved -- dewier and softer.

1/2 c 5-minute rolled oats,
2 Tbsp dried lavender buds
2 Tbsp dried rose petals
1 Tbsp dry milk powder (I bet soy powder would work fine for vegans)
1 tsp brewer's yeast

grind all in an old coffee grinder or blender. grind very, very fine, like flour, so as to avoid large chunks that irritate your skin when you wash. store in a tight jar and keep dry!

use about a tsp per wash. dribble with water in your palm to make a paste, massage all over face, rinse. what with the lavender & rose being ground infinitesimally fine, i think they pretty much infuse instantaneously so your skin does get the benefit of them. if you're skeptical you could always add a drop of essential oil when you grind everything up. and you can vary the herbs, of course, if you've found something you know helps your skin.

good luck!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrystalFireDragon
Castile soap, olive oil, coconut oil, organic tea tree oil (melaleuca alternifolia), extracts of matricaria (chamomile), goldenseal, awapuhi (hawaiian white ginger), bladderwrack, essential oil of palmarosa, petitgrain, organic lavandine super and peppermint oil.
I'm surprised this works well since coconut oil is highly comedogenic

I make my own soaps but never use them on my face since I use coconut oil in them...

Thanks for all the recs everyone. Off to do some research.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
replying cuz i can't find the subscribe button.

i am very acne prone, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to my breakouts. guessing they are hormone related, as i have been consistently pregnant or nursing for the last 5 years..

thoroughly clean face wash used to work for me, but i've been back on it for a few weeks now and my zits are worse than ever. wonder if there's something to the coconut oil thing. i know they changed their packaging, so maybe it used to not have coconut oil in it?

i'm going to try that oatmeal recipe.. thanks!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
i feel you, i'm the same way. after running the gamut of every natural face care system in our hfs, i tried elizabeth arden sensitive skin oatmeal face wash, toner, and moisturizer and my skin cleared up. and has stayed clear. it's absolutely full of chemicals and nasties, but it works so i'm taking a chance! also, drinking plenty of water and cutting back (or cutting out) refined sugar and carbs really makes a big difference. i know it's all supposed to be a myth, that sugar breaks you out, but you can look at my skin and tell when i've been on a junk food bender!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
The way I cleared my skin up was by discontinuing the use of all cleaning products except...

WATER!!!

It really worked - my skin isn't oily any more and it always feels great. I just kind of scrub it with my hands in hot water. I also stopped using any soaps on my body and my skin is so much better for it. When we use soap, we dry out our skin so much that it goes overboard producing more oil to make up for it. DH's biology teacher in college was about 70 but looked 40. Everyone asked what her secret was, and she said, "Never use soap. And if you feel you have to, don't use it on your face or genitals."

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
PP who mentioned Paula Begoun - yay! She is great! She tells the beauty/skincare stuff like it is. She sells her own stuff which made all my zits go away and my very sensitive skin doesn't hurt anymore. But many may not want to use it b/c of chemicals. But she does have a cool glossary of ingredients (natural and chemical) that has a lot of great info.

I have had success staying away from anything "minty" - peppermint oil etc. My motto is, if it tingles, it is bad. Treating my skin so gently has made it clearer than ever. Maybe the no-soap is a good idea! I want to look 40 when I'm 70 too.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
i made that oatmeal lavendar stuff last night- it was wonderful! tho i didn't grind it to powder fine, so it was more of an exfoliant. still felt nice, not too scratchy, cleaned well, smelled great

so what i'm going to do is keep using the thoroughly clean stuff till after pms goes away and see if it isn't just that making me break out. if i still am, i will transition to this and give it a full cycle. usually i break out when i first try something, no matter how well it eventually works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts