Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up with itchy arms this morning. When I looked, I noticed a skin rash with blister-like characteristics, like when you fall into poison ivy all over my lower arms. Then, when I undressed to take a shower, I noticed the rash was all over my legs too, on my tummy and back. It itches like crazy and looks terrible.

It was not there yesterday night. I am trying to find out what caused this. We went out for a restaurant meal yesterday, but the kids ate with me and they don't have a rash. Other than that, I had a fever for a couple days last week, and am still coughing a bit but am fine otherwise. Apart from the rash.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be??

Thanks, mamas

Turns out I have shingles. I thought I had flu, but it was shingles, which obviously caused the rash too. I don't want to take any antiviral medication because it is (apparently) not compatible with nursing. The rash is itching like hell now. Any thoughts/experiences on how to get through shingles quickly and painlessly would be great!

· Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by balancedmama View Post
Shingles? Didn't you say it was on both sides? That would be really rare for shingles.
Yes, it is literally everywhere now. I also have a fever, dizziness, a bad headache and no appetite at all. I had another phone consultation with another doctor, because after reading lots on the web, I didn't think it was shingles either. This doctor suggested I have scarlet fever and insisted I go to the ER at the clinic for infectious diseases right away. I live in Eastern Europe FWIW and the medical system lacks seriously. For now, I just decided to wait it out at home. Both shingles and scarlet fever go away on their own in the end, from what I have read. Mind you, I do feel pretty sucky.

Thanks for your input in any case!

· Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
what did you have to eat? sometimess people are allergic to something, or have a reaction to something ever when other people (your kids) dont. for instance ds is allergic to soy, i am not.
I didn't have anything to eat I never ate before, so I don't think it is an allergic reaction.

· Registered
14,304 Posts
Did you by any chance take any pictures? I am thinking I might have shingles but not 100% sure and pics would help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.