Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes we skip the afternoon nap. It's been happening more and more often lately as we have repairs going on at our house and it's super chaotic. When she skips the afternoon nap, she goes to bed at nine o'clock and wakes up at nine o'clock and it's really nice for me.<br><br>
On the other hand, if she has a bad late-morning nap, that's almost no sleep during the day. I try to follow her cues but she does need to be "put down" and I can't always manage that as it takes some time, between a half and hour and an hour, to get her all settled and I get interrupted with these repairs.<br><br>
I guess this is less about the family bed than about sleep, but what I'm wondering is, do you think it's okay for a fourteen-month-old to have only one nap and sleep at night? Is there an advantage to breaking the sleep up more?

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I think the transition to one nap is supposed to happen anywhere between 12-20 months, usually, so it should be fine.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My son dropped his second nap when he was 11 months old, and he's been doing great! When he dropped the second nap, his remaining nap was 90 minutes long (that length only started at 9 months old -- before that, it was 30 minutes). Then over time the single nap turned into 2 or 3 hours and shifted to the afternoon.<br><br>
Is she fighting the nap? I found that when my son started fighting his naps, it meant the nap needed to shift later. It just switched on me again one or two weeks ago (my son is 19 months old)... to an hour later than it was before. This has happened two or three times in the past few months, where it was a battle to get him to fall asleep at his usual time and sometimes was unsuccessful. Shifting later by 30 or 60 minutes did the trick.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My 15mo fights his morning nap when his sister is around....sometimes he'll wait till practically one in the afternoon to finally pass out.<br>
however when she goes to preschool in the morning twice a week...he'll often fall asleep after i go to the store, about an hour after i drop her!! i'm sure being in the car helps with the situation.<br>
it can be frustrating when you know they could use the zzzzs but they don't want to give in!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She fights it a little bit, but she is clearly tired. I cannot move it until later as it was already pretty late (five until seven) and if it's at six, then we both stay up until midnight. So it's either keep it and go to bed at 10:30 or skip it and go to bed at nine.<br><br>
Interesting about this being the time when they drop it. Guess we'll continue to go with the flow. I just didn't want her sleep to suffer because of my laziness.<br><br>
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
My DS just dropped down to one nap last week. It used to be that he had two 45min to 1h 15min naps twice a day - loosely at around 9:30am and again at around 2:30pm.<br><br>
Now he naps once a day for as long as 2h 30min (woo hoo!), and genrally goes down for his nap between 12:30pm and 1:00pm. So you may want to try having her one nap early in the afternoon, so there is equal time between waking up and nap, and then nap and bedtime. For us, it's about 5.5 hours from getting up in the morning to nap time, and the same amount of time from the end of the nap to bed.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point about equal amounts of time before sleep and after nap. Will keep that in mind.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
My dd dropped her am nap around 12-13 months. I noticed no major change in behavior, and life became easier for me. Like your child, mine requires a lot of parenting to get to sleep. If its easier for you, I would let her drop it as long as she still gets the morning nap every day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts