Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A family of skunks has moved into my yard. I planted some starts this spring from a 6-pack and they dig them up every night. I literally have to replant them every.single.day. They are digging up other things too.

What can I do to deter them? I've tried cayenne pepper... they didn't care at all.

HELP!! They are really getting on my nerves

· Registered
4,133 Posts
That is such a bummer. I haven't had trouble with skunks yet, but I hope someone can help you. Maybe if you put some hair around the plants like you do with rabbits. Might work? Do you have like a baby fence or puppy fencing? That might keep them out.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamsmom98 View Post
You'll have to trap them and either move them elsewhere or kill them.

It can be done. We don't have problems with skunks anymore.
Isn't there anything that can discourage them from digging in this flower bed? I don't mind them being here. I wouldn't mind if they were digging up the lawn

Has anyone had luck with anything else?

I read on an organic gardening board about someone putting ex-lax pills (broken up) around the flowers and then the skunks stayed away. That sounded dangerous and not very "organic" to feed pharmaceuticals to skunks

Any other ideas??

· Registered
1,111 Posts
Barriers, that's about what it takes. The skunks are there to dig for grubs. Are you using raised beds? One idea is to run cheap plastic fencing around the perimeter with some pvc pipe or t-posts for corner stakes. If you use something light like PVC posts, a corner can be pulled up so you can swing it to the side during the day as you work in the garden. And you can use zip ties to resecure the corner when you close it at night.

Animal control here strongly discourages people from trying to catch skunks themselves. We're told it's definitely a job to leave to the professionals.

What a bummer. We have a skunk too but our beds are raised about two feet up so the skunk doesn't mess with my vegetable beds. He's got plenty of room with easier spots to dig.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.