Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know we're not dummies, but this sleeping thing really makes us feel like it sometimes!

I've been reading on this forum and see that a lot of babies don't go to sleep till 9 or 10 or 11pm. Ah, that's interesting. My 9 month old son used to go to sleep around 8pm and I thought that was late, but now it's getting to be more like 9 or 10pm. We try to do bedtime rituals a la No Cry Sleep Solution, but at 7 or 8 when we start them (when he seems sleepy) he's still too wound up to sit still to read books, relax, massage, etc. Baths just make him more wound up. He is a busy, busy, busy boy! So we go into the bedroom around 7pm, it's dark, we have quiet music, try to do some soothing activities, but he just crawls over mommy, crawls over daddy, pulls himself up on the bed rails (the crib is in sidecar position), crawls, nurses, crawls, jumps, nurses, jumps, crawls, nurses, jumps, etc etc! Then when he gets worn out he crawls, falls on his face, almost sleeps, gets up, crawls, falls in his face, almost sleeps, crawls, nurses, falls on his face, etc. Sometimes he lies there just kicking and kicking and kicking, too tired to get up but still with excess energy. This goes on till 9 or 10pm, then finally he falls asleep by nursing. Usually my husband or I fall asleep at some point and we always wake up just in time before he crawls off the bed! Anyway, we are getting really exhausted with this, and I just wondered if anyone has any ideas, or if this is just the way it is for now! Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Maybe you are trying to start he process too early?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I would start bedtime later. DD doesn't go to sleep until between 11pm-1230am depending on how many naps she's had. We tried bed at 10 for a week and it made everyone miserable. It was so much easier to just realise she's a night owl like me and put her to bed when she's tired.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I agree, it totally sounds like it's too early and you LO is not ready to go to sleep yet. My kids have always stayed up fairly late, even as infants, but they sleep in later. It's just how it has worked out and we are happy with it. I can't imagine putting them to bed at 7 pm, some nights DH isn't even home yet and we almost never have had dinner by then. But I can see how it would be a drag if you were exhausted by 9 pm yourself. DH and I are night owl's so it's never been hard to stay up later.

·
Registered
789 Posts
You could try babywearing for a half hour or hour before you start the routine - run around the house doing stuff, and it might help him dissipate some of his excess energy. I've found that when I wear DS a lot, especially in the afternoon and evening, he's much more chill at bedtime and falls asleep easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts