Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Mama's, I need your insight. This might be long but I think it's pertinent to start from the beginning.

DD is 4 months (and a bit) old and we've co-slept since birth. We originally started out with a bassinet as a side car type of arrangement, but she slept in bed with us for the most part.

Around 2 months old we all started sleeping really poorly - waking each other up, hard to get back to sleep, etc. At this point she slept longer and longer stretches in the bassinet, still next to our bed, but starting off with us and waking up with us. Then she started waking up when my husband got up for work (around 6), and she was hard to console back to sleep, even in bed with me.

A few weeks ago I posted about putting her in her own room, which I thought would be best, considering her sensitivity to everything around her. It started off GREAT, she woke much happier, she slept better, etc. Well, it's not so good now and I thought she wanted to come back to bed with us. She started waking frequently to comfort nurse, clingy during the day etc. So a few days ago I moved the crib into our room (she's now too big for the bassinet) and took the rail off and pushed it up to our bed. I hate it.

I hate to say it, but I hate the crib arrangement. Everytime I move I wake her up, and visa versa. Between her waking me up and me waking her up, we were up, not just lazily latching on in a half sleep state, but actually wide assed awake about 10 times last night. I'm exhausted, and my already bad back is killing me. I can tell she didn't sleep well because she's cranky and tired and won't nap. Anyway, I wasted no time moving the crib back to her room.

What do I do now? It seems I damned if I do, damned if I don't. I *like* having her in our room, but when she's awoken (she's a light sleeper) before she's ready to be up she is hard to console, hence moving her to her room. But, she wakes frequently, albeit happier, in her own room.

I have just been getting up with her and nursing on demand, then putting her back down or keeping her with us. I have a video monitor and am able to see her to make sure I don't go running if she's not actually awake, but at the same time I NEVER let her escalate to a cry.

Should I just keep doing what I'm doing? Any suggestions? I'm sooooo tired.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
What about crib in your room, but not side-carred?

Then you won't be bumping in to her, theoretically she'll be less disturbed by you, but you'll also be close enough for her to see you there when she wakes and less afraid then when she's alone in another room....

FWIW, 4 months was our toughest time for sleep- hourly wake-ups in the night, sporadic napping, and feeling desparate and sleep-deprived all of the time. There have been ups and downs since, but 4 months was the toughest age for sleep (so far...
)

·
Registered
170 Posts
We now have DS in a pack-n-play at the foot of our bed. When we moved, we somehow broke the expensive Co-Sleeper (sides won't go back up... grrrr) and our Queen size bed is just too small. It works out OK with him still in our room but not *IN* our bed... although with him sick/teething this last week we're nursing almost all night long (last night from 1am - 2:30am... I'm so frikin' tired!
). But generally, this has solved our problem that sounds similar to yours... but it was baby and me that were getting woken up by Mr. Sleeps Like A Rock (DH)!!

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MelW
What about crib in your room, but not side-carred?

Then you won't be bumping in to her, theoretically she'll be less disturbed by you, but you'll also be close enough for her to see you there when she wakes and less afraid then when she's alone in another room....
: Works great for us
Baby and mom get sleep, yet baby is close. BTW I also Live with "Captian" Sleeps Like A ROCK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.