Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you know me from other threads, you will know that DS fights his sleep like a madman. Screaming, biting, etc. But when he does pass out, he is out for good.

For the last couple of days I have just been exhausted from DD going through some weird milestone, so I just kind of let DS stay up past his bedtime and skip his naps. He has been much more compliant and generally happy and cute. But he is exhausted. He gets maybe like 8 hours of sleep per 24 hours now, vs a good 14 if we try to get him to sleep. I can tell he's exhausted - his eyes are ringed, he yawns, rubs his eyes... But he's happy. And we have SO much more time in the day now that I'm not spending 3+ hours each day putting him down. (And that three hours is NOT bonding time, that is stress-everyone-out time.)

I think sleep is a necessary thing, like nutritious food and exercise. He needs it to grow and be healthy. And he does not have a great track record of self-regulating sleep. BUT he is cheerful, for the first time in however long...

What's better, a happy/exhausted toddler, or a miserable/well-rested toddler?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
DS is the same kind of kid. We dropped naps. I couldn't take it anymore. It was horrible to spend 1.5 for an hour nap. It just wasn't worth it. We are all happier with no naps. Yep, he is tired a lot of the time, but he is happier. We did it right before he was 2.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I say why fight it? If he's happy being tired and that feels okay to him, then great. Perhaps he'll start sleeping for longer on his own after a time anyway. As long as he isn't showing any other behaviors that worry you, I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I think happy/exhausted toddler is way better. DD is like this too, although she still needs the nap, but her nighttime sleep is usually around 9 hours. I miss the down time at night, but she sleeps more soundly if she goes to bed later and sleep fewer hours.

Hopefully if he's really exhausted, he'll catch up on his own.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Mine fights sleep. Not so much so at naps but bedtime is a battle.

Here's what I decided: if she's not interested in sleep, I don't have enough life in me to spend that much time putting her to sleep. So, I do about 20 minutes and if she's not calming down, we do something else for a little while. If it's naptime, I give up completely.

What I've found is that when DD is a happy/tired toddler for about a week, she'll become a miserable/tired toddler soon after and go back to needing the afternoon nap and long sleep for a few days. It's like her rhythm is a weekly thing or something. It woudln't surprise me at all if your little one is happy for a while and then crashes and needs long naps for a little while. DD wants to skip naps on the weekends when daddy's around and then crashes the rest of the week. Now that I've given in, I have to admit, I'm a lot happier. She seems to be less stressed too.

I'm still working on my flexibility though.. i wish she'd nap every day and let me nap with her too.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'd agree with the rest of the posters. If your little guy seems happier, just go with the flow. I would guess that his days without all the stress of the screaming and crying before bedtime is a great relief for him as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.