Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you do it?

This pain is getting worse, as I suppose is expected as my pregnancy progresses. I am seeing a chiro regularly, and that helps some. But I can't sleep well. The most comfortable position is on my back with a large pillow under my knees, but I'm starting to feel short of breath at times. When I roll to my side I can tolerate it for a little while, but then my hips and pubic bone just start to ache.

As for exercise, walking HURTS. Not so much in the act, but later in the day. The last real walk I had was last week and I was seriously sore for 2 days. I just can't do that anymore. So how do I stay fit? I'm just finding this particular pregnancy issue so frustrating!

Help!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Try sleeping with a pillow between your legs. I have to use a thin pillow and place it between my knees all the way down to my ankles. I tried a thicker pillow just between my knees with my ankles touching each other and that made it worse. By evening out the space with a thinner pillow from knees to ankles it helps. Also, turn over with the pillow between your knees. Do not put more pressure on one leg than the other when turning over - that always wrenches my pubic bone and HURTS. Holding the pillow between my legs and using both legs as one to turn over helps.

As far as exercising, I use an elliptical machine and it doesn't seem to stress my PSD as much. I do some yoga but I can't do any type of exercises that stretch my inner thighs - OUCH!

I also just ordered a book, Healing Pelvic Pain During Pregnancy (I think that is the title). I found it mentioned on another thread on MDC. It's supposed to have exercises to strengthen the muscles that hold the pelvic bone in place. One of the posts said the exercises are more for the back where the pelvic bone meets the backbone and not where the pelvic bone meets in the front but I'm all for a stronger back, too.

I had terrible PSD with my first pregnancy. With my second it was more manageable. Now with my third it is pretty rotten again (and it involves not just the front but also my back).

Best wishes! I hope you find relief.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I am doing yoga, but no real exercise (no cardio). I feel like a whale! A sleep-deprived whale! I don't sleep but 3-5 hours a night in 30 minute increments. My hip and pubic pain wake me up and I struggle to fall back asleep. I have been seeing a chiropractor and that helps me be able to walk at all (I was crawling everywhere and in debilitating pain about 10 weeks ago), but I am really looking forward to having a newborn so I can get some sleep!
:

I hope you find some relief.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had horrible PSD pain for all of the second trimester and some of the third this time. Going to a chiropractor eventually seemed to help me, as did wearing a sacro-iliac belt my sister recommended (she's a physical therapist). I also could not walk (my usual form of exercise) but found I could tolerate the elliptical machine. Also, my sister (the PT) recommended exercising in a pool, which I did a couple of times on my own, but never found a prenatal water exercise class that worked for my schedule.

I've now switched midwifery practices and my new midwives, who are also naturopaths, highly recommend a supplement called Ligaplex I for sacroiliac and pubic symphysis pain. I haven't tried it myself because my pain has been so much better lately, I haven't felt a need for it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
oh I feel for ya!!! I have the same issues. My sciatica is also acting up now... I am finding it hard to get up from a chair and walk into the kitchen even. the chiro visits aren't even helping anymore- baby is so low and everytime he moves the tiniest bit I have pain ALL down both legs and in my butt. I can't wait to deliver!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
i went to physical therapy and it helped me a lot. the pt told me that it usually begins to go away on it's own during the third trimester and for me this has proven to be true. it does hurt if i do any type of strong cardio. i haven't gone to the gym in months because of it. i do yoga a few times a week and that feels good

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Yeah, mine has gone away in the third trimester. I mean its still occasionally sore but no longer an intense sharp pain. I hope that gives you a little hope. Nothing seemed to work for me either when it was at its worst. I'm just now able to take walks. I was hoping to stay very active this pregnancy too but sometimes you just have to listen to your body. Theres time afterwards!

·
Registered
90 Posts
My mw suggested not doing anything with knees pointed outward (sitting positions are ok). It took me a little while to realize how much squatting I was doing during the day. The actual squatting didn't hurt, but it has helped a lot to stop. It's harder to squat with your knees facing forward so I try to kneel when I'm helping my son. I also cut out standing yoga positions. Shiva Rae's pg video shows how to do warrior poses while sitting in a chair. Walking is not good for me either but bicycling seems ok.

It is very frustrating!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.