Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,794 Posts
I have read/heard that once they can roll over they can sleep in whatever position they put themselves.

All of my children have slept on their stomachs since birth.

· Registered
33 Posts
My son had a really bad cold at 5 months. The pediatrician said he was old enough to sleep on his tummy. He said it would also help him not to gag on the mucus in his throught. He's been sleeping on his tummy ever since.

· Registered
757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama_ani View Post
I have read/heard that once they can roll over they can sleep in whatever position they put themselves.
:

although my ds has slept on his tummy since he was 3wks.

· Registered
146 Posts
IMO tummy sleeping is ok, especially at that age and since Baby is rolling over anyway

· Registered
8,956 Posts
DD really likes to sleep on her tummy, but DH is really starting to get paranoid about SIDS now that she's at the highest risk age (2-4 months). But she cannot fall sleep on her back - she constantly wakes herself up! I hate to admit it, but I do put her to sleep on her tummy most of the time. We share the bed, so I like to think I'm aware of her breathing, but even I have my moments where I have to check her.

That said, I think your LO is ok to sleep on her tummy, especially since she is rolling over.

· Registered
1,911 Posts
All of mine did from birth - it's much more natural and comfortable, relieves gas/reflux pains, no startle reflex, and they slept sooo well! No worries about tummy sleeping here, it doesn't cause SIDS so I lost no sleep over it.

· Registered
1,718 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SandraS View Post
All of mine did from birth - it's much more natural and comfortable, relieves gas/reflux pains, no startle reflex, and they slept sooo well! No worries about tummy sleeping here, it doesn't cause SIDS so I lost no sleep over it.
So how do you account for the higher rates of SIDS for babies who sleep on their tummies? Intuitively, I feel like it's easier for babies to sleep on their tummies and I put dd on her tummy sometimes, but the SIDS risk still freaks me out. I did read recently that putting a fan in the room with a tummy-sleeping baby reduces the SIDS risk significantly, maybe that's a good compromise?

Ds1 slept on his tummy every night after he learned to roll himself over.

· Registered
1,911 Posts
No where does it say tummy sleeping CAUSES crib death.

Scientists THINK it has reduced it, however it's a false statistic. Before the "BTS" campaign, autopsies were RARELY performed on babies who died in their sleep (where no obvious reason was there), making all of them SIDS deaths. Now that they are performed, doctors are eliminating many other causes.
For example, in 1990, 10 babies died. No autopsies performed, all called SIDS on the death certificates.

Today, 10 babies die. Autopsies reveal two tracheal abnormalities, two heart defects, and a spinal cord defect. Five are mysteries, ala SIDS.

Viola. A 50% reduction in SIDS.
If the campaign has reduced deaths so much, why hasn't infant mortality gone down too? It hasn't made a significant drop - because deaths are simply being re-classified. You can check this on the CDC sites, or any site that compiles mortality statistics.

Now, I hope everyone is just as paranoid about a baby that doesn't have a pacifier. Everyone needs to panic just as much if their baby doesn't have one. Like sleeping on their backs, pacifier use is a supposed "reducer of SIDS risks". Really, it is.

And, the false statistics added to the fact that crib death is soooooooo rare that I don't need to worry about it. I have a higher chance of injuring my child in a car than of this mysterious death that has NO cause, NO cure, NO prevention, it's just a fluke. An unfortunate fluke, but one nonetheless. I truly hope some day scientists come up with a viable prevention, but they haven't yet, sadly.

And that's why I have tummy sleepers. It's up to each mom to do what they feel comfortable with. I feel that y babies are at no higher risk than any others, and we sleep much better to boot. Good luck!

· Registered
555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SandraS View Post

Scientists THINK it has reduced it, however it's a false statistic. Before the "BTS" campaign, autopsies were RARELY performed on babies who died in their sleep (where no obvious reason was there), making all of them SIDS deaths. Now that they are performed, doctors are eliminating many other causes.
For example, in 1990, 10 babies died. No autopsies performed, all called SIDS on the death certificates.

Today, 10 babies die. Autopsies reveal two tracheal abnormalities, two heart defects, and a spinal cord defect. Five are mysteries, ala SIDS.

If the campaign has reduced deaths so much, why hasn't infant mortality gone down too? It hasn't made a significant drop - because deaths are simply being re-classified. You can check this on the CDC sites, or any site that compiles mortality statistics.

Now, I hope everyone is just as paranoid about a baby that doesn't have a pacifier. Everyone needs to panic just as much if their baby doesn't have one. Like sleeping on their backs, pacifier use is a supposed "reducer of SIDS risks". Really, it is.

And, the false statistics added to the fact that crib death is soooooooo rare that I don't need to worry about it. I have a higher chance of injuring my child in a car than of this mysterious death that has NO cause, NO cure, NO prevention, it's just a fluke. An unfortunate fluke, but one nonetheless. I truly hope some day scientists come up with a viable prevention, but they haven't yet, sadly.

And that's why I have tummy sleepers. It's up to each mom to do what they feel comfortable with. I feel that y babies are at no higher risk than any others, and we sleep much better to boot. Good luck!
Wow, thanks for saving my keystrokes. You took the words out of my mouth.

My children both were tummy sleepers...they slept much longer.

· Registered
2,008 Posts
My LO is 4 months old and only sleeps on his tummy. He can hold his head up and roll over occassionally. It seems to help with his gas and he sleeps longer.

· Registered
171 Posts
Quote:

My pediatrician told me this about a year ago. He's the coolest guy, everytime I came to him with a problem he would totally tell me the truth despite what other peds were saying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.