Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pregnant with my first (due April 19th!) and DH and I are planning to co-sleep. The thing is, I really like the idea of the baby learning to go to sleep on his/her own (at least during the day) and am thinking about trying out something someone told me, where you always put them down awake (during the day) so they learn to sleep on their own. You feed them and then do a light activity, like changing a diaper, before you put them down for a nap. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
A great plan in theory....works for some babies, didn't work for me. He's 4 months and still nurses to sleep, I'd be surprised if a baby's up for a light activity after nursing (from my experience they're usually asleep by then and that sleep is precious it can be almost painful to wake a sleeping baby!)<br><br>
All the best though, perhaps if you start that right from the get go you'll have more success?

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I think it totally depends on the child. There ARE some babies who are happy going to sleep on their own. BUT IME nearly all infants NEED to be parented to sleep for quite a while.<br><br>
-Angela

1 - 3 of 3 Posts