Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD started out in our bed but was moved to a co-sleeper because she turns & climbs in her sleep and kicks at me when she wakes up . I was repeatedly kicked in the face and throat almost every night. She once busted my bottom lip on my teeth.

:

Now she's weeks away from outgrowing the cosleeper, and I'm wondering what my options might be. She's spent more time in our bed lately because teething is waking her up, and she's still a kicker.

None of us are ready to make the move to the crib. Should I just start wearing a helmet and football gear to bed as protection?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
We have a kicker too. We have a king size bed now, so it's not a problem anymore. But before we got it, we just put the queen on the floor and put a twin size next to it. Plenty of room for everyone (even kickers!)

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
Wow, same here! I sported a couple of busted lips. The worst was one night when little kicker woke me up by putting my teeth through my lip, and DH didnt wake up even after we were both crying hysterically
:
we got a bigger bed and stuck it out, and I'm really glad we did. dd eventually grew out of the nighttime acrobatics

·
Registered
249 Posts
Too funny
, my ds is 4 mo and does the same thing!! I can't offer any advice because we've kept him in our bed.... I'm just hoping that this, like many other things will soon pass!
:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's good to know we're not alone. When the kicking started, I kept wondering "Why wasn't I WARNED about this?"
Hopefully things will get better with time for all of us!

Unfortunately we can't really get a bigger bed. We already have a king. The problem is that she moves closer to me no matter how much space I give her. She also always ends up perpendicular to me with her feet at my throat.

Last night she stayed really still, though she did turn sideways. Fingers crossed that this is a sign of improvement.

majikfaerie - My dh somehow sleeps through it all too. Sometimes he'll acknowledge what's going on but drift back off. It always turns out that he's just sort of talking in his sleep.

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
Actually, my dd's current sleeping drama is that she wants me to be very close and cuddle her, but she cant STAND it if my legs touch her in any way.
So we lie down, she snuggles up to me, and then starts kicking my legs, whining and shouting "not with your legs on me! MOVE!" so I move my legs out of her reach, and she snuggles close to me. Then the whole process starts again until I end up on the floor, then she freaks out and insists that I get on the bed to sleep
:
a week ago I started being REALLY firm with her and I explained that if she wants to be close to me then she gets ALL of me, legs included, or none of me and I would get up and go to sleep on the sofa. One time I put on my robe and just went right out of the house.
I walked quickly around the block to cool my frustration (of course dh was there) and when I came back to my crying girl, I explained to her that what she was doing was unreasonable and disrespectful and that i didn't want to sleep with someone who kicked me.
After that she never did it again.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My DD is a kicker AND a slapper. I still have a recurrent corneal erosion on my eye from where she smacked me plum in the eyeball a few months ago.
: We put a twin mattress next to ours at some point, because she's just waaaaay too flip floppy at night not to have some space of her own. Now she just smacks her bear in the eye.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts