Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you do it?!?!?!

DS is 5 weeks old and has some food intolerances and reflux. I am in the process of trying to find a med that helps him (he had a bad reaction to Pepcid), but in the meantime, he is miserable in my bed b/c he is not elevated. He kicks and squirms and arches and fusses all night long - no sleep for either of us.
During the day he will sleep in his car seat, but what should I do at night?

Has anyone successfully co-slept with a refluxer?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I found that if I cradled my dd in my arm, so that my arm was under her head, if would help a lot. The biggest problem we had was that she had projectile vomit all night. We had to put down a lot of towels and receiving blankets. BTW, Zantac worked really well for my dd... she is still on it 1x a day now at 19 months.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I found that using a fairly flat pillow under my DS waist and upper body, then his head on my upper arm (he is on his side facing me while he sleeps), then a bigger pillow under my head to take the pressure off my shoulder is what works for us. If DS is on his back this doesn't work - he will still have reflux symptoms - but if on his side he is ok. I just keep the bigger pillow tucked mostly behind me to keep it away from DS face. Also, Prevacid made a huge difference for us - Zantac didn't work well unfortunately. Hope you can find something to work for you!

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
My dd and I slept upright on the recliner until she was 1. It sucked and my teeth hurt really bad beause I'd clench them while sleeping but it was the only way she could sleep at night.

She was on Zantac until she was 15months. It worked okay, but she needed to have Gripe Water every night 2. If I skipped 1 or the other she'd be up all night screaming for 3-4 days until it all kicked in again, but if she had both she was able to sleep without screaming.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I co-slept with my refluxing dd. It was a nightmare because she would cry every night for 5-10 hours solid. It would have been just as much of a nightmare with her in a crib, though (the crib wouldn't have prevented her reflux and crying). Her reflux stopped, though, at around 6 weeks old without medication when I cut dairy from my diet. Every time I've tried to add dairy back in, she's had refluxy, gassy symptoms, so I'm pretty sure she has a dairy sensitivity. Are you nursing? Have you already tried eliminating dairy from your diet? If the Zantac didn't work, maybe your dd has some kind of allergy that's causing the reflux? As far as tips go, nothing really helped for us, unforuntately. We tried elevating her with a wedge in our bed. We rocked her, bounced her, etc, which would help for a little while. It was just something we had to endure. I hope your dd's symptoms get better soon.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
We propped DD up in a boppy pillow in between DH and I when she was smaller and refluxing all the time. She slept in one from the time she was 3 weeks until she started pushing herself off of it. Now at 14 months she only refluxes ocassionally and she sleeps on just a regular pillow elevating her. I hope your baby gets better soonl. Reflux is so hard for the baby and the fmaily.... I totally sympathize with you!

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
We've done a few things. First, try having your laying on his left side--this will help with the reflux. Sometimes we had Molly on her left side, propped on a boppy pillow. We also elevated the head of our bed so we were all sleeping on a bit of a tilt--that made it easier to just add a bit of a tilt to dd's position. The way it's working for us now is I made a giant body pillow. This way there was no danger of her rolling between our pillows. So I use the body pillow for my head and her head and have my arm under her shoulders and she's on her left side facing me--this is the best we've had so far I believe. The boppy worked great until she was big enough to move herself off of it.

Btw, dd is on Losec and Zantac with Gripe water as needed. The advantage to gripe water is it works extremely quickly.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
They actually sell wedge pillows just for this purpose. The pillows have a little thing like a diaper attached to them. The babies legs go through the "diaper" and it keeps the baby from sliding off the pillow. Does that make sense? I would *highly* recommend one of these. Here is a link:

http://www.tuckersling.com/

ETA: I forgot to say that the site talks all about elevated crib mattresses, but they sell a wedge that the sling can be attached to, so that you can put the baby in your bed. I really think this product is wonderful and I recommend it to everyone whose baby needs to be elevated for sleep. (Not that I'm an expert - I just think it's awesome!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.