Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks all, for your support about day care. My DS is actually having a fine time, and I'm starting to feel more comfrtable. The one difficulty we've been running into is his napping there. They can't get him to sleep in the crib - just the swing. I'm not surprised, b/c he's never taken a nap in a crib, either in my or DH's arms, or our swing, or the car seat on long drives. He usually sleeps in the crib for a few hours at night, and then moves into our bed. So, does anyone have any suggestions for getting a co-sleeping babe to sleep on his own at day care?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well it sounds like it's early days yet, and little ones are remarkably adaptable, so I wouldn't worry too much, especially if he falls asleep in the swing for now. Is it ok for him to have a snooze there, or is it a problem?<br><br>
Dd isn't in daycare, but I did look at some centres when I was pregnant, and I remember at my favourite one they asked parents what their little ones needed in order to fall asleep. If your child was used to being rocked to sleep, for example, the caregiver would do just that. Or stay in the room until they were asleep. They were very flexible, even though it was a centre (3 caregivers, 12 babies). See if your caregiver is open to something like holding ds until he's asleep if you think it would help.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a problem now, but he's approaching the weight limit on most swings, so I'd like to start to think of some solutions. I think you're right that it's very early in his experience, and some more time might solve the problem on its own. The caregivers definately asked me if I had any ideas about helping him sleep - the problem is I don't. I can't put him down at all when he falls asleep, and as wonderful as they are, I don't think they want to hold him through his naps (and I don't know if that would be fair to the other babes!) Thanks for the feedback - I'll keep you posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts