Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing a number of people recommend this book, i finally bought it and have almost finished it. A lot of it sounds like it makes good sense to me & it's definitely supportive of AP values so I was wondering what other reader's thoughts were on the book...how it helped their kid's particular temperament and how making the changes effected their family life. My one uncertainty is that she doesn't really address nursing issues (beyond infancy) so I'm not sure if I should implement her strategies and then try to nightwean OR if I should just nightwean first. For me, i think part of the reason we sleep so irregularly is because of the nursing...so fixing that might make it easier to get on a schedule. Right now, because i don't have to get up at any particular time, I sleep as long as I possibly can...but that usually means nursing non-stop from 6am or earlier until I can't stand it anymore. So I wonder do I just need to bite the bullet and get out of bed at 6am and start our day... but then, I think my DD just doesn't wake up happy if she doesn't wake up nursing. I need to break the cycle because neither of us are getting enough sleep, I'm just not sure which strategy to start with. My toddler's temperament is intense, sensitive and irregular.

· Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It ranges from 6 - 8am. Most of the time it's closer to 8, but that is definitely me fighting for more sleep. I would say DD starts to nurse constantly, switching sides, starting at 4ish. Sometimes my husband takes her around 7 so that i can get a few more minutes to myself. 15 minutes of alone time makes a huge difference in how i feel getting out of bed. We rarely get to to sleep at night before 9 (sometimes it's not until 10!), although we usually start the bedtime routine between 7:30 and 8. This past week things have been really off...I haven't been able to get her to nap until 1 or 1:30 and then she sleep naps until 4:30. I try to wake her up but she is out. I always feel like she naps better than she sleeps and she sleeps especially well laying in my arms.

· Registered
1,276 Posts
It gave me a great way to think about DD as an "intense" child - as being a survivor, biologically wired to be very alert and thus also very hard to shut down! That helps me stay compassionate, not just think she's fighting ME when she's trying to so hard to stay awake... And it helped me feel confident in lots of things I was already doing, like a set wake-up time, early bedtime, loosely scheduled naptime, that DD really did need that kind of guidance from me to get enough sleep - maybe some kids don't, but she does.

· Registered
710 Posts
Reading this book really helped me realize that my dd is very routine oriented, even though I am not. Once I worked on getting a regular schedule, dd's sleep improved immensely. That said, now that we're trying to nightwean, things are deteriorating quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.