Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI

I have a gorgeous 3 week old baby boy who is a champion in every way. He sleeps and settles well, feeds well and is happy and content when awake. I feel completely blessed because my first was the exact opposite!

The last two nights he has slept so well - he did an 8 hour stretch in one hit (breasts were VERY engorged and luckily he took from both), then last night he did a 5 hour stretch (sleepily took right breast only and couldnt rewake him to take the other) then a 3 hour stretch (my left breast hadnt been used since 11.30pm and it was now 9.00am). My question concerns supply. If one of my breasts isnt used for a 12 hour stretch what will that do to my supply in the day? Or will my breasts just produce less milk in the night due to lack of night nursing (he still wakes 1-2 times overnight to nurse)? I dont want to lose my supply in these early days or am I worrying needlessly - he will just take what he needs and my body will produce what he needs when he needs it.

Ive also noticed my letdown reflex is quite painful and forceful with the first couple of letdowns.

He nurses roughly 3 hourly during the day, sometimes he is on several times over an hour or two and is contented and aware when awake. His nappies seem quite wet and he does several poos in the day. I am pretty sure I can see him chubbing up in his arms and legs but will take him to get weighed on Tues at the Health Clinic just for peace of mind.

Any advice would be helpful here!

· Registered
12,043 Posts
Sounds like you're doing just fine, mama! You sound like your supply is exactly as it should and the babe's output is great. I wouldn't worry. I would, however get some NaturalCalm. It is magnesium in a very absorbable form-it will help with the painful milk ejection reflex.

· Registered
3,996 Posts
I wouldn't worry about your supply, because:
1. he may not continue those long stretches of sleep once he has a growth spurt, then he will eat more often so long stretches of sleep might not even be an issue in the future.
2. Sounds like he's getting plenty to eat so he's eating the same as every other baby in a 24 hour period, which means your supply won't suffer.
3. Engorgement and oversupply type problems can go away after the first several weeks, once supply adjusts to baby's demand.

If you feel too much fullness and you're uncomfortable, just pump relieve pressure, but I don't think it's necessary pump religiously to maintain supply.

My youngest has always been a one-sided eater, so each breast has to wait several hours until it is nursed on again, it has never caused a supply problem.

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Sounds like you're doing great! Only 3 weeks after birthing your body is still adjusting to all of this. Don't worry unless you start to feel pain, or lumps in your breasts... or fever ... (ie mastitis)... you can let him latch on and if the let down is too much take him off, and let the milk pour/drip onto a towel or something for a minute or two... then put him back on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.