Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, mamas give me your opinions please!

We live in a place where the winters are long and cold. Of course I plan on taking dd outside during the winter but to be honest I HATE the cold (I grew up somewhere much warmer) and usually I spend most of the winter inside. So... I had the idea of buying dd a slide for Christmas. One that could be used indoors during the winter and outside during the summer. Something like this (the advantage to this one being that it can fold up to be stored away): https://www.toysrus.ca/webapp/wcs/st...0665&nvalue=27

I broached the idea with dh who thought it was TERRIBLE, saying "we never had anything like that growing up". Hmmm... I don't know. It will take up a bit of space, but we are in the process of converting our duplex to a 2 storey single family dwelling so we'll have the whole "upstairs apartment" living room to use as a family room/playroom. I am the one alone with dd more often and I could see it being a good present to ME too, kwim? Nothing better than having a way for a toddler to burn off her energy!

Anyway, sorry for the long post... Opinions anyone? Do you think it will get used? Do you think it's a ridiculous extravagent idea? Anyone?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I think it's a great idea if you have the room. There may be days when she's feeling really wound up and you need something to let her get rid of some energy. DS would love this - he is a climber and would love to have this to use and play on. Plus he loves the slide at the park, it's is favourite. I give it a

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cujobunny View Post
I think it's a great idea if you have the room. There may be days when she's feeling really wound up and you need something to let her get rid of some energy. ...

Especially since you're with her most of the day...the energy doesn't go away just because it's cold out! And I know what you mean about the winter...I grew up here (NY) & I still stay inside a lot during the winter.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
I think it's a great idea! We almost moved to Phoenix and the plan was to buy a small jungle gym type thing for to keep indoors during the extreme summers. I would totally do the same if we lived somewhere with cold winters!

·
Registered
398 Posts
We had a Step2 in our living room for several months a year -- the sun was just too hot for outdoor play and this was perfect. Now that we aren't in the desert, we still bring the slide in when the mosquitos are out in our new town. The slide was a great investment and is light and easy for me to move in and out.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
We got my boys a slide for their first winter solstice when they were 10 months old. Ours is wooden and stays inside. They are 3.75 now and still use the slide almost daily. It has absolutely been the best "toy" we've ever had. They use it in summer too when it's too hot to be playing outside on the plastic structure we have out there. Over the years it has been many, many different things (boat, house, ramp for cars, gymnastics equipment, etc.). I definitely have no regrets!

Lex

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
We got our DS the Endless Adventures Wave Climber by Little Tikes for this winter season and my son just loves it!!! I did a lot of research before we got this one and we have been very pleased with it!

Rachel

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
How about one of those climber/slides? It might be nice to have something with a "cave" area, too, since you're going to be staying indoors a lot. Something like this or this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another mama told me to have an indoor slide.

I bought a Little Tykes at a garage sale this summer. It sat outside all summer basically un-used, but since being inside he's on it every day. The added benefit is it keeps him from climbing on the furniture.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
My dad built me a wooden slide when I was little, and I LOVED it. I just talked to him the other day about getting it out and cleaning it up for my 15 month old dd. I think it would be the perfect thing for her to have inside during the winter.

FWIW, I hate the cold too, but took a trip for work to the northern reaches of Canada a few years ago (where the temps were regularly 30-40 BELOW zero (Farenheit), and I was working outside!!), and learned that it is indeed possible to be comfortable in the cold. I used a lightweight layer of thermal underwear (mine are Hot Chillys, and wick perspiration away -- I LOVE them!), and on top of that a midweight layer of thermal underwear (I think mine are a brand called Kombi). On top of that I wear thick fleece pants, a sweater or sweatshirt, a fleece coat (Columbia) and a down parka. I have a thin pair of sock liners and wool socks, and also thin glove liners and heavy mittens. And a hat! You would be amazed at how toasty this set up is
. All of a sudden, I stopped hating being outside during the winter!

·
Registered
591 Posts
I bought a little tykes slide for indoor play at a garage sale and dd's loved it!! So much so that when I saw another one at a rummage sale I got a second one. I think it's a wonderful idea for when you can't get outside - which for us is often because I can't handle the park with them alone yet.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yay, you guys have convinced me, lol! Now I just have to convince dh....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
FWIW, I hate the cold too, but took a trip for work to the northern reaches of Canada a few years ago (where the temps were regularly 30-40 BELOW zero (Farenheit), and I was working outside!!), and learned that it is indeed possible to be comfortable in the cold. I used a lightweight layer of thermal underwear (mine are Hot Chillys, and wick perspiration away -- I LOVE them!), and on top of that a midweight layer of thermal underwear (I think mine are a brand called Kombi). On top of that I wear thick fleece pants, a sweater or sweatshirt, a fleece coat (Columbia) and a down parka. I have a thin pair of sock liners and wool socks, and also thin glove liners and heavy mittens. And a hat! You would be amazed at how toasty this set up is
. All of a sudden, I stopped hating being outside during the winter!
Well, I live in the not-too-northern reaches of Canada and it still gets pretty damn cold, but nothing like that. You are definitely right about the layer though. This year I'm going to invest in a really warm down-filled winter coat. Now if I can just get my dd to keep a hat on... sigh...

·
Registered
796 Posts
We have one of the slides you are looking at and dd loves it. We got it last december when she turned 2. At first, we used it inside. She really loved it when I put a pillow at the bottom for her to slide into.

Then we put it outside for summer but are probably going to bring it back in if its gets colder. She tends to like climbing up it more then just sliding down, but its gets used alot.

I say go for it!
with smiles

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
you know, even with the warmest clothes going, sometimes you just don't want to go out in the cold! It takes forever to bundle up the baby and on really windy, snowy, yucky days it's not pleasant. I mean freezing rain, ice pellets, driving snow, wind chills that mean frostbite really fast... all of those things are total possibilities here in Ottawa. If we had the space, we'd totally have some big climb on or active toys. We have a really small house though and don't have the space so we bought a membership to the local indoor playground (we're talking 3-4 levels of climbing, sliding, ball pit fun here with lots of padding and netting to keep everyone safe while exploring and experimenting with how to get up and down things. It has an under 3 area and an under 4 area too and we have MORE than made our money on that membership. During the summer when it was raining or really hot and we wanted an air conditioned break or we would go and now that the weather it turning colder it's just a great place to run around. We can still play on the outdoor playgrounds these days but later it'll get too cold for them and outdoor play will be in the snow. The indoor playground is a totally great place (and no music... just the sound of lots of kids laughing talking and having fun
)

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jes'sBeth View Post
I mean freezing rain, ice pellets, driving snow, wind chills that mean frostbite really fast... all of those things are total possibilities here in Ottawa.
We're in Montreal so I know what you mean!

The indoor playground is a great idea too, though the nearest one to us is a) kinda pricey and b) too far to walk when it's cold out (and I often don't have the car). It is nice to get out and be around other people though!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If we had long winters, I would do the same! Thankfully, we live not too far from an IKEA so we can use their ball pit. =)

ETA: You can get a slide from Little Tikes that costs less. They have several here:

http://www.littletikes.com/toys/toys...ty=1&Ntt=slide

I hope that URL shows up. If not, go to littletikes.com and do a search for "slides."

Also, we got one off of freecycle and didn't have to pay a thing for it. We have it in the backyard and DD loves it. It's small enough that we could bring it inside. We've already brought in a bunch of her 'cars' and we got so many from vaious freecyclers (it just sorta happend) that we took a picture of the baby with her row of cars like how those rich men always take photos of themselves with their Bentley's and BMWs. :LOL

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by henhao View Post
If we had long winters, I would do the same! Thankfully, we live not too far from an IKEA so we can use their ball pit. =)

ETA: You can get a slide from Little Tikes that costs less. They have several here:

http://www.littletikes.com/toys/toys...ty=1&Ntt=slide

I hope that URL shows up. If not, go to littletikes.com and do a search for "slides."

Also, we got one off of freecycle and didn't have to pay a thing for it. We have it in the backyard and DD loves it. It's small enough that we could bring it inside. We've already brought in a bunch of her 'cars' and we got so many from vaious freecyclers (it just sorta happend) that we took a picture of the baby with her row of cars like how those rich men always take photos of themselves with their Bentley's and BMWs. :LOL
Thanks for the link to little tikes, but actually the one I posted was in Canadian dollars, so those little tikes ones wouldn't be any cheaper.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would totally recommend a slide or some other play structure inside. I wasn't sure about bringing DS's slide inside because of how much room it would take up, but it's been great fun for him. He goes down it, crawls up it, crawls under it, recently figured out how to roll balls and cars down it...

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
We had, for a year or two, a slide in our kitchen eating area (instead of a table). We've now got a large rocking horse there. I see nothing wrong with it.

Another thing to think of, if you've got the money and space is a low loft bed with a slide: Something like this: http://www.bergenfurniture.com/castlebed.html

I think you can get them cheaper than this (this is just the first one I pulled up off of my google search). If I had the room, I'd do this in a heartbeat. Dd is a great climber. And it RAINS here all winter. I don't mind going out in the rain, but there is only so long you can be out before you're soaked and cold. And slides are definitely out in the winter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.