Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 5mo pregnant and recently developed a yeast infection. One natural treatment method that I came across was the *ahem* insertion of a garlic clove. Well, I tried it and apparently have lost it and am unable to retrieve said garlic clove

What I'm wondering is if anybody has any advice on going about the retrieval of this garlic clove and whether or not it poses a direct threat to my baby. I've never used anything like a tampon or vaginal suppository before and am totally clueless in this regard.

TIA

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Not a midwife or doula, but I can maybe help
I'm 7 months pg and am just getting over a yeast infection myself...I tried inserting my acidophilus vaginally yesterday and it seemed fine...til they came out today
all on their own. I don't think garlic would do anything. I think if you just wait, it'll come out.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Well it's got to be there right? It's not like your a bottomless pit.

Sorry, a little humor to make you feel better.
Since you are unfamiliar with suppositories and tampons, my guess it that you haven't checked thoroughly enough. It has likely slipped behind your cervix (not into it of course)
First relax! Wash your hands very well, trim your fingernails, lube up your hands with ky-jelly if you have it, and keep looking. It's there, you just need to go all the way to the back, and check all the crevices.

ETA; It doesn't pose a "direct" threat but remember it is a vegatable so it will break down and accumulate bacteria if it is in there for a long while

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
OH NO! I did this before but I think I had to wrap it in something then insert?

Hmm... Do you have a partner, dh or friend that could umm.... get a better angle?

Something that is also helpful is plain- very plain- no sugar added yogurt external and internal- via turkey baster.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
I think you can wait until it slides down...I don't think it would go bad for a while
Maybe after 3 days I'd be concerned.

Have you tried squatting? Or standing with one leg on the toilet seat?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Also washing with a diluted apple cider vinegar solution. It will help stop the itching, and since it will change the PH of your vaginal secretions, it may help kill the infection. It helped me.

Good luck with the garlic,
Marie

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Just remembered something I heard once. If you poke a hole in the clove with a toothpick you can thread some cotton string through it and make a loop and tie the ends together and you have a nice little "tampon" string. Hope that helps for next time.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, ladies, thanks for all the quick responses... I've never actually gone "exploring" myself, kinda inhibited in that way all my life. My dh has gone looking for it but he couldn't find it in the short amount of time that he had. One thing I'm worried is whether or not it could slip under the amniotic sac or something (sorry, really am not sure of the physiology down there right now) and get lodged and not able to slip out on its own. (really embarassed now...
)

I'm not sure there will ever be a next time, too paranoid
As for the squatting or putting a leg up on the toilet seat, does that make more area accessible?

Between the missing garlic and the heavily diluted oregano oil for the outside I smell like a walking pizza parlor, sheesh! Not doing much to help my cravings...

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fljen View Post
Wow, ladies, thanks for all the quick responses... I've never actually gone "exploring" myself, kinda inhibited in that way all my life. My dh has gone looking for it but he couldn't find it in the short amount of time that he had. One thing I'm worried is whether or not it could slip under the amniotic sac or something (sorry, really am not sure of the physiology down there right now) and get lodged and not able to slip out on its own. (really embarassed now...
)

I'm not sure there will ever be a next time, too paranoid
As for the squatting or putting a leg up on the toilet seat, does that make more area accessible?
Yes, if you haven't tried to find it simply by sitting on the toilet seat, start with that. Insert your longest finger and sweep it around. Squatting or putting a let on the toilet seat just gives you another angle to do the same thing.

If you're 5 months pg, your cervix is pretty tightly sealed. The amniotic sac is attached to your uterine wall with tight membranes. Ain't nothin' gettin' in there, so don't worry about going fishing around with a short-fingernail finger. (The nail could cut your vaginal walls, but it won't slice through or into your cervix.) I don't know the exact positioning of a 5-mo-pg cervix, but it is entirely possible that the clove is hiding up behind the cervix, as the pp suggested.

Good luck!

(but wasn't the garlic a relief?!? I LOVE garlic!)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Your baby and amniotic sac are all sealed up behind your cervix which has a plug so the garlic isn't likely to get up there. I think a good way to do it would be to bear down like you're having a bowel movement. Try to push it out. If you're feeling uninhibited, you can put one foot up on a chair or the toilet, reach around and bear down while reaching for it with one or two fingers. If it's up there a while, you can always call a physician for help. I think a naturopathic one would be much more understanding, though!

·
Registered
808 Posts
May I suggest that you kind of push (as if you were having a bowel movement) while you are searching around. That may help push it down some for you
:

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Also keep in mind that it could have slipped out already while you were sitting on the toilet. It would have slid right on down where you couldn't have seen it so that may be why you can't find it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In the interests of helping, I'll be embarrassed here too.

I once lost something up there (pre-pregnant). I could touch it sometimes, but could not get it out. Weeks later, it came out on its own, remarkedly well preserved. So try not to worry too much if you can't find it right away.

- Mai Lon

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, the dratted thing is still in there. Dh went a probing this morning and while he couldn't feel it, I could feel the pointy end moving away from his fingers up on one side. When I tried to push a little to help it out it pinched some skin... ouch!
:

Thank you all for the replies, they have helped calm the panic a lot! We figure we'll give our midwife a call in a couple hours and ask her when we should send in the fire brigade with hoses and axes to retrieve it

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

I am laughing because this happened to a couple of my clients before we wised up and had them wrap the clove in a thin veil of gauze and tie it with a string.

The clients called and I said, well I can come out if you can't get it, or you can come here... most of my clients are pretty far away so both of these couples managed to get it out by themselves after trying again...don't be shy, searching around in there will do no harm, and imagine how this can open up new dimensions in your relationship!

Anyway, someone mentioned poking a hole in the garlic and putting string through it...this might be a good idea with a large cheesy infection but also, it releases more acidity and can cause irritation...so I would not recommend it unless the un-nicked clove is not working.

Good luck! Paige

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know you've probably resolved this problem already, but I'd just like to share my own icky lost-the-garlic story. Years ago I used to give workshops on reproductive self-help wherein I would teach the ladies how to use a diposable speculum by demonstrating for them myself. Imagine my mortification when one of my students peered inside me and said, "Hey, what's that white thing?" I grabbed the mirror and flashlight and found that it was a little baby clove that must have been attached to a larger one I'd inserted OVER A WEEK BEFORE. It was all fine and also very well preserved, but boy, was my face red.

But I guess it's not as bad as the first time I publicly demo-d speculum use and laughed so hard that it shot out and hit my friend in the head...oh well!

·
Registered
460 Posts
It's possible that it might simply break down.....I would not be too worried it wont hurt your baby.

I had slippery elm (herb) stuck for several weeks...it finally came out!

Mary

1 - 18 of 18 Posts