Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/22/bu...pagewanted=all requires a login, but it is where I read it. Not sure if other media have it, too.

Quote:
Indictment of Doctor Tests Drug Marketing Rules

By ALEX BERENSON
Published: July 22, 2006

At first, Dr. Peter Gleason thought his arrest was a joke.

Side Effects
Articles in this series are examining how money from drug and medical device companies can influence the ways doctors conduct business and practice medicine. The articles will remain online at nytimes.com/business.

In the early afternoon of Monday, March 6, half a dozen men in suits surrounded Dr. Gleason, a Maryland psychiatrist, at a train station on Long Island and handcuffed him.

"I said, 'Well, this is a gag,' " Dr. Gleason recalled in a recent interview. "They said, 'No, this isn't.' "

Dr. Gleason, 53, was taken aback because he was arrested, and later charged, for doing something that has become common among doctors: promoting a drug for purposes other than those approved by the federal government.

But prosecutors say that Dr. Gleason went too far. At hundreds of speeches and seminars where he was rewarded with generous fees, Dr. Gleason advised other physicians that a powerful drug for narcolepsy could be prescribed for depression and pain relief. In doing so, he conspired with the drug's manufacturer to recommend it for potentially dangerous uses, the prosecutors claim.

The case has put the spotlight on the murky financial relationships between drug companies and the physicians they use to promote their medicines. Companies cannot directly advertise drugs for purposes not approved by the Food and Drug Administration. But getting drugs prescribed for unapproved uses can increase a drug's sales, so companies often skirt the rules by sponsoring seminars where doctors are paid to make presentations promoting their drugs, including the "off label" uses.

For doctors, these and other payments they receive for discussing drugs can be very lucrative. Dr. Gleason acknowledges that he received more than $100,000 last year alone from Jazz Pharmaceuticals, which makes Xyrem, the narcolepsy drug he has promoted.

His case could establish limits on what doctors can do to help companies sell their drugs.
You really should read the whole article. I can't repost it here.

Also, I googled and found the FBI press release on this: http://newyork.fbi.gov/dojpressrel/p...ions040506.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts