Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This woman is a VBAC, she has 1 doc she likes (in a group of 8). Unless this one doc is on call when she births she will be going to a different hospital with a short copy of her records stating her previous c/s is appropriate and this doc group okay'ed her for VBAC and was providing her with prenatal care. This group is very unfriendly to women and babies and the hospital they use is as well. The back up plan is for a different hospital with a current VBAC ban, but actually it is the friendlier option if she can labor at home until she is in advanced labor. So there's a little back ground on why this is coming from a little bit of an unconventional place. We really need feedback on this to help her have the best chance possible. I think the trick is to be strong without being unfriendly or confrontational.

Mother's Name
Due Date

Please discuss each procedure with me. I want to know the pros, cons, and alternatives before making decisions. Please help me in making informed decisions through my VBAC journey. Thank you!

Vaginal Birth

* I will be moving and assisting the birth process as I feel the need. I understand that monitoring is required and will stay close to the machine.

* I will be choosing my position for birth, I understand the need for that position to be on the bed.

* I want the baby to be placed on me and to stay with me after birth as long as there is not a medical complication.

* My cord is to remain intact until it has stopped pulsating, please then ask my partner to cut the cord.

* Routine newborn procedures should be postponed at least 1 hour.

Cesarean Birth

* I would like time to think and pray, if possible.

* Please limit conversation to the birth at hand.

* I want the curtain lowered at the time of birth so I can see my baby.

* My baby should be placed with me as soon as possible and breastfeeding facilitated immediately in Recovery.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Wow, I was expecting an agressive tone after your intro, but I think it's perfectly friendly & fine. I'm surprised it's not longer than it is, actually.
& I really like how she says, "I will be" doing things... very cool. It's not as overly polite as "I would like" but it's not the least bit rude, unfriendly or aggressive. It's perfect!

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
The only thing I would say is rather than stating that the cord is to remain "intact", state that it is to remain "unclamped and intact". I know some doctors will read that as "uncut" and will still clamp it.

Other than that, it sounds really diplomatic and reasonable.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sounds perfectly reasonable and friendly. I also like that she has put 'I will' rather than 'I would like'. I agree with the pp about writing 'unclamped and intact'.. just to be sure

Good luck to your friend!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all very much! I really needed the feedback! We have discussed what she wants and she asked me to type it up and we could review it again together. I agree that it seems short but I have found that the shorter the better, especially in this situation. It appears that you are demanding less I think! We added the part at the top about dicussing everything with her because her last birth felt really out of control for her and it will encompass many things we could have otherwise listed serparately. So thank you all, your feedback reflects exactly the message we were trying to convey.

Thanks for the tip on adding unclamped. I had kind of questioned that wording but didn't think of a better way, that works great!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I like it! Short (nobody reads long birth plans, unfortunately) and to the point while still seeming friendly and unthreatening. Good job!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.