Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so last night when dh went to the store, i asked him to get me some avocados. he came home with these ginormous shiny green orbs that i couldn't even recognize as being avocados. i look at the label and it says "Less Fat! Slimcado 30% less fat"....wait, what? less fat? for heaven's sake, WHY?! i have tried looking up information on them today and most of what i pull up is bad reviews on people's blogs about the taste and texture of slimcados. i'm scared to eat them now.
are these GMO, or hybrids? anyone know?

· Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oK, according to the website (here) they are not considered GMO by the FDA. so i guess that makes them a hybrid. additionally their PLU code starts with a 4 which indicates conventional produce. (How to Decode PLU Stickers on Produce) i guess that makes them "safe" to eat...so i suppose i will go make some guac with the one that is already ripe.

· Premium Member
8,511 Posts
sounds like a florida avocado with clever marketing behind it. they have smooth green skin, and get a lot bigger than the california avocados.

eta a bit of googling unearthed this:

Quote:
Florida avocados have less fat and less calories than conventional varieties like Hass and are marketed under names like Lite Avocado (TM).

· Registered
849 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
sounds like a florida avocado with clever marketing behind it. they have smooth green skin, and get a lot bigger than the california avocados.

eta a bit of googling unearthed this:
thats what i was thinking. we have both kinds all over the place here in california... the Haas and the weird, pale watery tasting ones. i sometimes see them sold as Fuerte avocados, wonder if that is the same thing? if so, its just another (lesser, IMO) type of avocado and nothing new. ive bought 'em in a pinch when i need avocados for dinner and the haas arent ripe. we go through a lot of avocados here.
:

· Registered
10,748 Posts
It sounds like the FL variety to me too. They are naturally lower in fat... lower in taste too.

· Registered
2,392 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post

I think so, too. I don't care for them - they are so lacking in flavor! Haas rule
:

· Registered
3,463 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
But isn't the whole POINT of avocados that they're full of healthy fats?
No, no, no, silly! The POINT of avocados is to SELL SELL SELL, by any manner of marketing that might work on some percentage of the population!

· Registered
7,153 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Limabean1975 View Post
No, no, no, silly! The POINT of avocados is to SELL SELL SELL, by any manner of marketing that might work on some percentage of the population!
You said it sister.

A Florida avocado almost ruined me for avocado for life. I heard good things about avos, went to the store, didn't know which to pick. The FL ones were bigger so I went with that. Yuk!!! Fortunately a few months later a friend served a dinner salad with a Haas avocado, and it was sooo yummy.

Honestly, if DH brought home a FL avocado by accident, I would actually cut it open and throw it in the compost. I hate wasting food, but - yuk. It's watery, tasteless, slimy, and blob-like.

· Registered
4,463 Posts
I like the way they taste, they are different from Haas, yes, not as rich tasting. but they taste like another fruit to me..... I'm not a fan of teh "slim" marketing, but they are still good food IMO

· Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oK, so now having eaten one...i would say that alone they taste similar to white button mushrooms.
the guacamole tasted alright but watered down.

· Registered
1,501 Posts
Why is everybody knocking Florida avocados? I think they taste the same...I take offense being from Florida and all
But I really do think they taste the same. I mix my guac mix with chopped tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, a tiny bit sour cream. I also eat them right out of the boat (the rind)

· Registered
1 Posts
I grew up in Florida. You use SlimCados differently from haas avocados. I slice them up to put on top of a salad, or what's absolutely fantastic is dicing them up to put on top of hot soup. If you're grilling a hamburger, put a slice on top of the burger the last couple of minutes on the grill.

I like guacamole made out of SlimCados, but I understand with its lower oil content it may not be the avocado of choice for your party dip recipe.

· Registered
4,337 Posts
My friend used to always confuse me with buttery avocado and watery avocado-that's the difference one is a Haas variety(buttery) and the other is the bigger green skinned Florida ones(watery)-it's not a GMO or a hybrid just a different variety. Like granny smith apples vs. cameo apples, both are apples just different types.

I honestly like both kinds, you can make a whole giant bowl of guac for a couple dollars with the big green ones.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.