Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ds wants to be held ALL the time (he is 4 months) but he HATES all the slings. My arms and back are tired. With my dd she would sit semi upright in the sling and watch as I got on with things, ds won't.

Sometimes when he is asleep upright against my shoulder I can manage to slip a ring sling over him, until he wakes up then he screams. He is a very light sleeper. I haven't been out of the house for days as he is just too heavy to carry in my arms, but he won't lie in a pram either. HELP!!!

I have a sling-easy, huggababy, wilkinet, storchenweige and kubeba. (we are also ECing)

He is awake more and more, so I either put him down till he cries, or sit with him and get little done with the other kids. What can I do???

~Amanda~

· Registered
240 Posts
My DS went through the same thing. It lasted about 3 days until O just couldn't do it anymore. Even though he was little I told him if he wanted me to carry him I had to use a sling. I picked the one I felt he liked the best and wore it ALL THE TIME. If I held him he had to be in it. At first he protested loudly but I figured he was going to be yelling anyway. After a few days he finally gave in and now likes his slings.

What about the slings do you think he doesn't like? My four month old doesn't like to have her arms in. and my son doesn't like the cloth to touch his legs so I make sure his clothes cover where the sling touches. Have you tried swaddling him? or does he not like to be "confined"? Are you carrying him with the sling the same way you are carrying him without it? I know it's alot of questions but I'm trying to figure this out with you.

Hope some of this helps.

· Registered
9,902 Posts
My first child was the same way. Strangely, he HATED the sling but liked the snugli
Although the snugli is very hard to get the baby in & out of, I think it wouldn't be EC friendly.

I suspect that my DS didn't like the sling because of the way I was carrying him, and he couldn't see the world around him. I tried the sling periodically, and he started enjoying it when he was about 5 months old and big enough to ride on my hip.

· Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Asleep he likes to be tummy to tummy, only slightly higher near my shoulder. He has always hated swaddling, and squirms when wakes up as he hates the confines of the fabric on him. When awake he loves facing outwards to see the world but hates his legs or arms confined- i have used the wilkinet with his legs dangling- he sometimes tolerates it for a bit if we are out and there are things to look at and if he has just fed. I did manage to use a rebozo with him in a seated position, he had no choice, as long as he could suck/chew on my finger he lasted 1 hour. it is hard on my arms when he is asleep though, a slight movement from me and he awakes like now.........

· Registered
240 Posts
OK This CAN be done. go to mamatoto.org and look at the wrap tie ons. Get a fleece wrap during the winter. gypsymama.com tie it on in the morning and leave it on, you can pop in and out. Practice with your storch. (Have you "broken in" the fabric?) Because you will keep the fabric low on his body (like shorts) with his arms out you should keep an arm on him for stability but you will be soooo much more comfortable. My little miss is the same age and I wear pants and then my fleece wrap as a top around the house with her little naked bum in it. I simply can't do in arms ALL DAY. The first couple of times when you tie it on and put him in immediately go for a walk! or nurse him. if it's too cold out walk in little circles in your house pointing out exciting things like doorknobs and pictures and spoons
He may protest for a few days but will quickly imprint on the wrap as his snuggly and all will be well. To help him adjust faster. Wear the wrap as clothes and don't carry him without it. ** I hate to make you buy something new but the fleece is stretchy and therby feels less confining. but again practice with the storch. I vote wrap cross carry but do it higher on your body and kinda scootched over so he can be on your shoulder when he's tired and cnter but kinda high for facing out.

hope this helps

· Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They don't sell fleece wraps here in the UK, but they do sell wraps that have give in eg hug-a-bub, tricotti sleng, kari-me, continum. I haven't used the storch much as I have to get him out quick when he wakes to pee him, then feed. So the material isn't really worn in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.