Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "Nojo" Sling that was a hand-me-down from SIL. (It's awful! Too big, doesn't work.)

I also bought a "Kelty" carrier that is a back-pack style carrier with DS in front (He has to face in as a newborn.) I like it, but I would also like a sling that holds him in closer & tighter to me to wear around the house. I thought something where he was in a "cradle" hold would be good.

I'm quite overwhelmed at the selection! I checked out the sticky thread on this board, but it doesn't seem clear to me which styles can work with newborns! The photos show babies sitting up - which of course won't work with my LO who can't hold his head up yet. Can they all work with baby down sideways tummy-to-tummy? Or are there only certain types I can consider with a newborn?

Thanks!

· Registered
896 Posts
You've got lots of options.

STRETCHY WRAP:
My favorite nb carrier. I would feel really lost parenting a nb without one! You can do a cradle or tummy-to-tummy (or later on, a hip carry); the holds are very secure so you're 100% hands-free to do laundry or whatever; good weight distribution; pretty easy learning curve; easy to bf in; poppability - meaning you can pop the baby in and out for those of-so-frequent nb poopy diaper changes without having to take the wrap on or off. Only drawbacks, imo - lots of fabric, so it can be warm in summer; limited useful life, as the material isn't supportive enough for heavier babies (after 12-15 pounds) and isn't suitable for back carries.
Brands: Moby, Gypsy Mama Bali Baby Stretch (pricier, but less stretchy, so will last you longer as the baby gets heavier), Sleepy Wrap, Hug-a-Bub. Or just make your own for $5 out of stretchy material.

For the t-2-t, he can be upright even as a nb. The fabric will support his head.

WOVEN WRAP:
Will last you FOREVER. All the pluses of a stretchy wrap, except less poppble, and a longer learning curve. Can be pricier, but will last forever, and there are bargains available. You'll be able to use these for back carries too, unlike a stretchy wrap.
Brands: Girasol, Didymos, Easycare, Vatainai, Hoppediz, Storchenweige, BBSlen, Merry Carry, Lana....
Or, make your own out of a tablecloth!

RING SLINGS:
Another very popular nb carrier, for good reason. Poppable, not a bad learning curve, great to bf in. Great for cradle carries, a little less hands-free for tummy-to-tummy at the earliest stages; all the weight is on one shoulder, but at the nb stage that's probably fine unless you have 12-pound babies usually.
I am not up on RS brands... I know Eesti because I use her pouch slings, and I've heard good things about her RS too. That's all I know.
You can also make your own pretty easily.
eta: I've heard lots of bad reviews of the NoJo. You may like an unpadded rs much better.
Again, with t-2-t he can be upright; there's enough fabric to support his head.

POUCH / POUCH SLINGS:
EASY to use - not a thing to tie, buckle, or adjust. Poppable as heck. Great for cradle carries. Like the RS, not as hands-free for the t-2-t position early on, in fact even less so than a RS because there's less fabric. Another major drawback is that sizing is crucial - one inch off and it's not going to work optimally. Also not super easy to bf in.
Brands - Slinglings, Hotslings, Karma Baby, Eesti

MEI TAIS:
Workable for a newborn; most people like them better a bit later on though. You do an upright t-2-t with the legs inside the carrier; the body of the carrier will support his head. Not all babies like this position. Medium poppability - you will have to take the carrier off or at the least adjust it each time you take the baby out. Only so-so for bf in. Pluses are it's very supportive and will last through toddlerhood.
Brands: BabyHawk, Freehand, Beanslings, Mai Tai Baby, CatBird, Sachi, Kozy... hundreds of others... I could go on all day. I'm a MT addict.

SOFT STRUCTURED CARRIERS:
My least favorite option for a tiny newborn. They are not very snuggly, and it can be hard to position tiny ones safely. A great option for later down the road, due to supportiveness and ease of use, due to the buckles. Can be used for front or back carries. Some brands, like Pikkolo, can be used for front facing out carries. A compromise if someone really really wanted a buckle carrier for a nb would be something like Connecta, which is more like an MT but with buckles.

For nb carriers, especially one you think you won't be using forever, consider buying used or making your own, if budget is an issue. You can find great deals at thebabywearer.com for used carriers, and here's a link to make your own: http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=63

· Registered
11,048 Posts
Great post from Jenn! I'll just add that I find a lot of babies actually prefer being upright, and don't care for the cradle hold much. Of course there are always exceptions but I think cradle hold is overrated. Also, you need to make sure that if you do use a cradle position, you make sure that baby's chin is not tucked to her chest:

http://www.thebabywearer.com/article...ositioning.pdf

One of the reasons I like showing parents an upright, tummy to tummy position is that it avoids the majority of positioning issues that can occur with a newborn in a cradle hold. Yes, you have to make sure baby doesn't sag down into a chin to chest position even when vertical, but it's just easier to get it right in a vertical carry.

· Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!!!!
I just ordered the "breeze wrap" from gypsy mama.com!
Can't wait for it to arrive.
Baltimore is HOT & humid in the summers, so I went with the Breeze based on reviews saying it was great for hot weather.

I also decided I didn't care much if it wouldn't last while DS was heavier - I wanted something "poppable"
So it would be easy to take him in & out for diaper changes. (I'll be a WAHM one day a week, so I figure it will be great for that.) I also wanted something with the weight distributed across both shoulders & my back - so it would be comfortable to wear for long periods. So I ruled out ring slings. Hehe.. as a fitness instructor, I couldn't bring myself to order something I knew would not be ergonomically correct!

I was reluctant to shell out $67.00 for the sling + $7.50 for shipping, but there were so many great reviews for this product that I felt better after reading them. Lots of the reviewers even had other slings, such as mai tai, and still loved this one. So hopefully it was a wise purchase.

Although it doesn't come with a DVD, as others did, but they have an instruction booklet online, so I can refer to that.

Thanks again! I'm very excited to start baby wearing.

· Registered
20,366 Posts
:

· Registered
599 Posts
I'll second what Quirky said - my DS hated the cradle position in our pouch sling when he was little. I know a few mamas IRL who like the Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch for newborns, because it's stretchy and can be used for a newborn tummy2tummy, and also because it can adjust as they lose their PP weight. I plan to use a homemade stretchy wrap for my next newborn though. Cheapest, easiest option and I've already got a great stash for once the baby's a bit older.

· Registered
896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
Thanks!!!!
I just ordered the "breeze wrap" from gypsy mama.com!
Can't wait for it to arrive.
Baltimore is HOT & humid in the summers, so I went with the Breeze based on reviews saying it was great for hot weather. I also decided I didn't care much if it wouldn't last while DS was heavier - I wanted something "poppable"

Oh.... I hope you like it! I have to warn you (and I feel really bad because I didn't make this clear in my post) that the GM BB Breeze is different that the GM BB Stretch. It may not be the most poppable because it's gauze, not stretchy material like the GMBBS. However, I do know many, many people who loved their GMBBB with newborns. And they are probably the coolest option for summer, and they will be supportive for a long time probably. If you don't find it poppable enough, with any luck you'll be able to trade though... but I bet you'll be fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
Although it doesn't come with a DVD, as others did, but they have an instruction booklet online, so I can refer to that.
Oh yeah - don't worry about that. There are tons of videos available online, on youtube, at thebabywearer, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.