Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering how to deal with this. When my first was a baby, I took him almost everywhere in a front carrier - a Snugli, but a soft one, not the hard ones I see around now. He'd be snuggled up against me everywhere I went. (I did use a stroller sometimes - long, long walks and such.)<br><br>
Anyway - dd was also in the Snugli a lot. DH would carry her when we went hiking, and I'd use it for other things. Now, ds2 is in the Snugli quite a bit, but I don't know what to do with dd! She's 2.5 and really active. I like to let her walk around, but it's hard to chase her with ds2 in the Snugli. So, I end up putting him in the stroller sometimes, so I can run after dd.<br><br>
I also have a backpack. So, sometimes, I put ds2 in the stroller, and dd in the backpack. And, sometimes, I put dd in the stroller and ds2 in the Snugli. Either one works out quite well, but I'm really not a fan of strollers (I do think they have their uses...carriers don't work well right after a c-section, for example.)<br><br>
I've been thinking about trying a sling...or two. Would it work if I wore two slings - one on each side? I know toddlers can ride on your hip, with the sling kind of holding them in place. Does that sound workable?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am there ( ds1 is 2.5, ds2 is 4 mo). I found two rs to be workable but uncomfortable. However, I have discovered that two mei tais or a mei tai and a soft carrier (like an ergo - which I have-, probably a papatum, or something like that) works great for us. ds2 goes on the front first, then ds1 on the back. (I kozy the baby and ergo the toddler , but I have a second kozy on the way so they can both be in kozys). I find that this is easy to put on and seems to balance well. It's not even exceptionally tiring or anything!<br>
the kozy site (<a href="http://www.kozycarrier.homestead.com" target="_blank">www.kozycarrier.homestead.com</a>) has a picture of this with two kozys.<br>
hope this helps!<br>
(I can give you directions or take a pic of us if that would help)

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what an ergo is. I'm new to the whole "sling" thing. I've always used my Snugli, but never even looked for any other kind of carrier.<br><br>
The pictures of the kozy look good - the carry position for the little baby is very similar to my Snugli.<br><br>
I've thought of backpacking dd and Snugli-ing ds2, but I haven't actually tried it yet. I think I may run into problems with the straps...

·
Registered
64 Posts
an ergo is a type of soft structured baby carrier, the new ones can be used on the front, hip, and back (mine is old, so only front and back, but it suits us fine)<br>
you can see it on <a href="http://www.ergobabycarrier.com" target="_blank">www.ergobabycarrier.com</a>. it is like a kozy except it buckles instead of tying (some moms prefer the buckle thing)and has the wide waist (great for long trips - really distributes the weight!). By backpack, do you mean a wire frame backpack? I have no experience with those, but you should probably try experimenting. I find that I have a hard time imagining how two carriers could work together until I have them on. Then it's like, "oh, if that goes here, then this foot can be here and this strap goes here"... really it falls into place (plus my 2.5 yo considers himself to be an expert - "no mommy, tie here! No, like this!!" LOL!)<br><a href="http://www.thebabywearer.com" target="_blank">www.thebabywearer.com</a> has a section called soft carriers - there you can find reviews of ergos, papatum, etc. they also have a trading post and other discussion boards.. its a great place to find gently used carriers and advice on using them. there is a board about carrying twins, they may have ideas for you even though yours aren't twins...<br>
also, the kozy is better for the spine than the snugli, and can be used longer.. just a thought.<br>
does any of this help? feel free to pm me

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ergo looks a lot like my Snugli - different in details, but very similar position for the baby. My Snugli is <i>old</i> - I used it in '93 for ds1, and it was second-hand then. It's not one of the new ones that are styled like a Bjorn.<br><br>
I'll poke around some more.<br><br>
Yes - my backpack is a frame pack. I can put dd into it with the bottom of the frame open. That way, it will stand on a table or something. Then, I wiggle into the straps, and stand up. I can reach back and collapse the frame, so it's not sticking out. DD loves it - she can see all around, but she can also lean forward and put her cheek next to me. I think I'll still try to put both babies on me with the Snugli and backpack, but I know the straps will be bulky, at best.<br><br>
I need to get some other carriers, but I think it's going to wait a couple of months. We're probably flying down to Knoxville at Christmas, so I money's a bit tight until the New Year.<br><br>
Thanks for all the tips!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are you able to wrap two at once? I am just developing my love affair with wraps, but I can't do both kids at once (I only have one long wrap) and I can't combine wrapping with another carrier (like a MT) because the knot of my wrap hurts either me or the non-wrapped child...<br>
I do agree that wrapping is great, I just don't have the skills to do two at once yet...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts