Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS (4 months old) was given Slippery Elm and L-Glutamine to mix w/ water or breastmilk for his reflux/colic. Can anyone tell me about this? 1/2 tsp at a time, she said we could give it as often as we want, like 3 times a day.

What exactly does this do? Reflux and colic are two different things, right? Should we give it before or after eating, or as we see symptoms of discomfort, or preventatively?

I have a call in to his naturopath, but she is on vacation for awhile. It does seem to be helping a bit, but it is hard to say if it is the slippery elm, or the Chamomilia homeopathic remedy she also gave us, or if it is from the dietary changes I have made. The biggest change so far is that his gas and poop now stinks!

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
slippery elm thickens liquid, making it more jelly-like. I guess it would help keep the liquid down? It's used a lot for diarrhea, too, and is okay in large amounts at pretty much any age, I believe.

I would try giving it frequently for a while so you can decide if it works, then try cutting back to when he gets symptoms to see if it works quickly enough.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am not sure, but slippery elm is mucilaginous (giving it its name and thickening qualities), so may also be a demulcant--they soothe mucous membranes. I understand slippery elm lines the whole digestive process, all the way to pooping (can help folks with constipation etc), so I can definately see how it would help with gastric reflux--the stomach acid washing up from the top sphincter into the oesaphagus.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mallow has similar properties, and plantain does too, but I am not in a position to say whether safe for a baby, how much etc, but you could look into it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts