Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>DS is 11 months old and still doesn't quite seem to have the hang of the pincer grasp.  He can certainly pick up small objects, but he doesn't do it with his finger and thumb.  When eating he mostly grabs a piece of food in his fist and then kind squeezes it and wiggles it until it pops up to the top of his fist and balances it on the way to his mouth.  (Or just opens his fist and shoves it in.)  I saw a 9 month old demonstrate a lovely pincer grasp the other day and realized DS doesn't do that.  Is it unusual for an 11 month old to not do it yet or is it another thing that babies just do on their own schedule.  He is walking already, so I wonder if maybe he focused his energy for a while on gross motor skills rather than fine?</p>

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
<p>I wouldn't worry too much - I think these things vary a lot from baby to baby.  He probably can do it to a degree that you might not even realize, but doing other things is much more exciting for him right now so that's what he ends up doing.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>That said, if you're wanting to encourage it that's fine too - we often gave our kiddos things like individual lentils, black beans, frozen peas to self-feed and 'practice' pincer grasp.  </p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts