Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh - just got back from DS's 6 mo appt where he measured 27 1/2 in (75%) and 16.2 lbs (25%). He weighed 9 lbs 3 oz at birth. His ped said that she is slightly concerned about his weight, but would wait to see him again at his 9 mo appt where she would like to see him around 19 lbs. She didn't mention supplementing him at all, thank goodness, but I'm concerned now. This child is sooooo distractable, it is really hard to nurse him. I absolutely cannot get him to nurse outside the house (or outside of his darkened room in the rocker for that matter). I get a good nursing session first thing in the morning, before his two naps, at bedtime and then once during the night. I've tried to nurse him at other times, but he is just not interested. I tried avacados 2 weeks ago, then squash and oatmeal last week, but he doesn't really seem interested in eating solids either. I just went to the store and got some more avacados to try later today. Would you be concerned? Anything else I could try?

I should mention that he is otherwise a very happy and healthy boy who is VERY active and meeting all his milestones.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't think I would be too worried. Sounds like you are doing a great job. My son is sooooo distracted too. Basically I can only nurse him alone in a quite room too. Is you babe interested in a sippy cup? perhaps you can squeeze in an extra feeding if you put breast milk in a sippy. Or breast milk popsicles in one of those mesh teething things.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I wouldn't be worried either. He wants your baby to gain 3# in 3 mos! My oldest did that and he was a chubbo though! Evan was 14#15oz at 6 mos and was 17#5oz on Sunday (he's 11 mos). At this age, and w/ bfing, they only need to gain 1-2ozs a week. We get that from Evan and no more! He was born at the 40% and went to 15% right away. He stayed at 10% for a long time before falling off the chart completely.
No one in concerned b/c he's going forward and meeting all his milestones. Some DRs are just too hung up on weight and think all children need to be 'plump' like my oldest!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Addiesmom, my 12 month old DD just now weighs 14 pounds, 11 ounces, and is finally 28 inches tall. Her ped became concerned at her 9 month checkup when she still weighed 13 pounds (same as her 6 month checkup) and wanted me to start weaning her. After some discussion (mostly me saying "No, thanks, we'll go for the calorie powerhouse of breastmilk, tyvm"), I made an appointment with the lactation consultant (who, already being familiar with us, said she felt there's no problem) and a nutritionist (who gave us really, really bad advice....so bad that the ped apologized for referring us to her).

But, tiny though she is, she has tons of energy, has glowing skin and shiny hair, and is hitting her developmental milestones (uh, did I mention how much energy she has?!). And now her ped agrees that she's just dynamite in a tiny package.

I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I wouldn't worry but I WOULD dump that ped. My dd wasn't interested in solids until a year. Breastmilk has a higher fat content than just about any solid anyway.

Dump the ped and nurse and your child will be fine.

-Angela

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
oh mama, forget all that business!
is your baby happy and seemingly normal? is your baby kinda smart? like the brain is taking all the calories? sounds goofy, but really.
is your baby developing on the fast side of normal in other ways, like crawling on the early side or something? they use LOTS of calories to THINK as well as MOVE. are there small people in your family?
read "how to raise a healthy child in spite of your doctor" by mendelsohn (sp?). he talks about how the height/weight charts were started by formula companies, NOT breastfeeding moms and their babes!
if i didn't know the things i know from books like that and real life i might have worried also, because DS#1 was BIG and then DS#2 came along and he is tiny! but #2 did everything earlier than #1 and is also EVEN brighter than #1 so his body is using thos calories that he sucks from me....ALL NIGHT LONG!!!!! (too busy to nurse during the day, he is!
)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchyconmomma
oh mama, forget all that business!
is your baby happy and seemingly normal? is your baby kinda smart? like the brain is taking all the calories? sounds goofy, but really.
is your baby developing on the fast side of normal in other ways, like crawling on the early side or something? they use LOTS of calories to THINK as well as MOVE. are there small people in your family?
read "how to raise a healthy child in spite of your doctor" by mendelsohn (sp?). he talks about how the height/weight charts were started by formula companies, NOT breastfeeding moms and their babes!
if i didn't know the things i know from books like that and real life i might have worried also, because DS#1 was BIG and then DS#2 came along and he is tiny! but #2 did everything earlier than #1 and is also EVEN brighter than #1 so his body is using thos calories that he sucks from me....ALL NIGHT LONG!!!!! (too busy to nurse during the day, he is!
)
Yes, yes, yes, yes - practically crawling at 5 mos, no small people - DH and I are both fairly tall which would explain DS's length. Funny that you mentioned difference between your 2 DC - same with mine, which is also why I was concerned. DD was a chunka love, and DS is so petite, I'm not used to having such a peanut. And, same here too, DS is doing things WAY earlier than DD did. I don't think DD crawled until after 9 mos, and didn't walk until she was 15 mos (she's my observant one though - doesn't miss a thing!) and DS has been on the move since he came out!

So thanks for the support, and the book recommendation - I'll look for it today!

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned either, especially with a height of 75%. I really wish dr's would look at the genes a bit more before jumping to conclusions. my bf'd babies are my small, not gaining/labelled FTT babies. I have 1 that I weaned to formula to avoid the weight gain problems(with the 3rd I just didn't care anymore plus she couldn't have formula,lol) and she's not a giant either. My youngest was 16lbs at 1 year(6lbs 5oz at birth). She's 3.5 and 30lbs now, still not in the 25th range the ped we saw twice wanted her at by 18months.

Besides, clothes last longer when they don't grow fast.lol

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
I would find a new doc. 16 pounds at 6 months is very normal for a bf'd baby. Your babe sounds like he's doing fine.
You know - I would, but they are the only practice around here that doesn't harrass you if you chose not to vax. This particular doc is new to the practice (and new to being a doc, I think she just finished her residency), so maybe she doesn't know how to do anything but "by the book". Maybe I'll ask to see a new doc for the 9 mo appt.

Thanks again to all!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
My DS weighed 10lbs2oz at birth. at 6 most ,he was exactly 17 pounds. He is happy, healthy, grownig, eating. Don't worry. enjoy your boy. your doc is spending too much time looking at numbers and not at your son.

·
Registered
339 Posts
gosh! if you're concerned then i REALLY should be concerned! ds was born 5 lbs and is 5 mos and 10.5 lbs now. i'm not worried though. he's distracted easily while nursing but i work around it. i offer boob when he doesn't ask so he has several "snacks" between his longer nursing sessions. his weight gain may be slow but it is steady. don't worry mama...your ds is fine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.