Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to post this for a couple weeks. I got my last little trimester booklet thing from my OB two weeks ago. There was a section on circumcision. I thought it was pretty good.

Quote:
If you have a son, you will be asked if you want him to be circumcised. In other words, do you want him to have surgery to remove the foreskin from his penis? This surgery often is done before you leave the hospital.

There is no medical reason to cut away the foreskin from a boy's penis. The benefit to health is very small. Boys may get the same benefit by washing well.

The chance of harm from the surgery is small. But sometimes there can be a serious problem.

The surgery is painful. Medical experts do not agree on the best pain relief.

In the United States many parents choose circumcision for their sons. In other countries almost no one does. If you choose circumcision, discuss pain relief, side effects, and care of the would with your baby's doctor.

·
Registered
580 Posts
That is great. And your in the Midwest? Hopefully the rates there will be dropping fast soon. They mentioned minimal health benefits, possible complications, that the US is really the only country that circs, and they even admitted it was painful. Usually they totally downplay the pain of circumcision. You definitely get the impression from reading it that it isn't necessary. The blurb the hospital gave me on circumcision a year and a half ago was no where near as good. It said that if you have a boy you may choose to have him circumcised. It will not be done without permission. If you choose to have your baby boy circumcised it will be performed by the baby's doctor in the nursery. It also said something about the doctor discussing it with the parents before the surgery. That was it. No mention of pain or anything else.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes
I like that is spells out what circumcision IS; not just a "quick procedure"-- it's "removing foreskin from the penis!"
I'd really like to see them say "it's permanently turning the penis inside out." :LOL

Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.