Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would lke to start a smal business. I make organic body care products out of food items. For instance I make lip balm' body butter, healing salves, tooth powder, tooth pasta, deodorant powder and clay. I used to make bar soaps and liquid shampoo too. Right now I use items I buy with food stamps to make these products for my kids and I because I can not afford to buy artesian organic products. I have been told if I try to sell any of these items I will loose my food stamps because I bought them that way! So even though it takes hours and skill and knowledge to make these items my time is disregarded and I would loose my food stamps.
So basically I want to find a way to get a grant or loan to buy items to make body care products. I think I could sell them online or at farmers markets when they start again in the spring. I would prefere a grant in case I am not successful. Or a loan where I have a decent amount of time to get products produced and sold before having to make payments.
Any suggestions mamas?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi,

I've been thinking about your post. I'd recommend trying to get someone to partner with to buy the resources you need. Then split the profits. Later, if you make enough you could do this on your own with the profit you receive. This may be simpler than trying to get a loan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with easydoesit. One way is to try and partner with someone. Not only will it be difficult to get a loan, the last thing you want to do is get a loan for a business you are not sure will be successful or not. That is the kiss of death. Don't do that to yourself and your kids. Always try to avoid loans with unproven business models.

Another idea in addition to partnering with someone is crowdfunding. There are plenty of sites that allow you to raise money to start your business. All you need is a really good story about yourself and your dreams. People need to identify with you. If you can successfully get people to identify with you, they will support you.

And the best part is, you are not in debt. You have nothing to lose by trying something like that. The other key is spreading the word once your crowdfunding fundraiser is up. Ask your family and friends to share the links. In my experiences, the most successful online fundraisers happened because people shared it all over facebook.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts