Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a family member made a comment that my ds is small for 11month-1 year year b/c he is just now fitting into the 12 month size pants...
she said isn't that small... shouldn't he be bigger?

anyone else have a smaller 1 year old...
he is 11.5 months and 20 pounds...
he is solid & strong
should i worry?

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Not at all. "Shouldn't he be bigger" sounds like an innocent question but I'd be a little irked if someone had said that about my dd. There's a huge range of "normal" when it comes to babies.

When my dd was 12m she wore 12m,
When she was 24m she wore 24m.
She's 2.5 now, and about 25 lbs.

Babies come in all shapes and sizes. If he's healthy, don't worry about it!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Your child sounds small , but that is no reason to worry. They label the pants "12 months" because that is how old the child should be. If your child is growing steadily and nursing / eating properly than I would tell that family member to hush.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
i've always gotten the opposite reaction to my ds (he's 40" tall and 37 lbs, at 27 months!) and i would worry that he had some problem but obviously he's taking after his father who's 6'5".

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
My dd is petite. My ds was small as a baby/toddler (around 10%), but now he's in the 75% for height and 90% for weight.

My dd is strong and active, too. It always surprises me when people comment on her size. She's 15 months, and people usually think that she's 11 or 12 months old.

The upside - noone ever said to me "she *still* isn't walking??" She just started walking a few weeks ago. Instead of the worried "tsk tsk", I hear "look at that tiny child go!"

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Ds will be eleven months on the 8th.... he's 17 lbs. I'm 5'4 dh is 5'5 we're not skinny, but not obese, either. Timkin really has no reason to be large. My 8 year old didn't make 20 pounds 'til she was 18 months, and at 8 yrs old is only 42 lbs.... She wears a size 7 slim, with a belt.

·
Registered
850 Posts
My ds is 11.5 months also at 19lbs 9 oz last check up, he had only gained 8 oz the previous months. As winter is approaching I am hemming and sewing a stitch in the elastic 12 months pants and overalls because I do not want to buy 6-12 months and have them not fit all winter long! Healthy happy good eater that continues to grow are just cute, not to small!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
My oldest was 17 lbs at a year old. She needed size 12m stuff (with plenty of room to grow) and nobody beleived me. I got lots of clothes for her birthday (December)- winter stuff in size 18m that I had to exchange because it wasn't going to fit her until the spring.

Sure, some kids are bigger than others. My son was in 12m sized stuff by 6mo. Both of them are perfectly healthy.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
None of my kids have been the requisite 20 lb at a year to turn their car seat around. Abigail is 20 lb 3 oz now at 15 months.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks mamas!
my ds is just perfect...

I am not worried about it...
he is solid & healthy
I am 5 foot 5
130 pounds
and his father is like 5 foot 4 shorter than me definately and probably weighs the same if not less than me....
I guess the tall side of my family thinks he should be tall like the rest of them...
I love my ds' small, cute lil legs

blessings & thank you for reassuring me.........

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My DD is 16 pounds, give or take, and she's 11 1/2 months old. She's 28 1/2 inches, so on the height chart, she's doing fine (considering I'm 5'2" and DH is 5'4", she's higher on the charts than we are). In weight, she's totally fallen off the chart. I don't worry about it. She's as healthy as can be, and I've never seen a more active baby. I just figure I'm not going to have to worry about having an obese child ever

·
Registered
849 Posts
when my dd was 1, she wore 6 mo. sizes, and 18 mo. sizes too!

The garment's sizing is no true indication of anything...just a vague guideline.

your boy sounds perfectly healthy and normal at 20 lbs and one year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.