Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 20-month-old ds had his fingers smashed in the front door by his brother. i did not see the actual event, was coming around the corner. his fingers were dented between the middle and upper knuckles, but the dents are gone now. no skin broken. i think they are hurting, because he is intermittently fussy about them, and having a hard time wielding his spoon, not usually a problem. right now he is nursing and seems to complain every couple of minutes, even while not using them. he's taking arnica and i am trying to run cool water/use ice as much as he will allow. i am going to use arnica gel in a minute.<br><br>
here are my questions:<br><br>
if they were broken, what would be done for them? splints? anything else i can handle here at home?<br><br>
is there any great risk to waiting until morning for a pede visit as opposed to the er?<br><br>
what other comments do you have based on experience, esp. w/ this age?<br><br>
many thanks!

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I don't really have much advice but at least I'll bump this up. I would say if they're broken they would just splint them. Usually with a break there is black and blue and some swelling. Maybe you could just put a call in to your ped. to ask his advice.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
At the ER they would probably x-ray. If they are broken and in alignment (which they probably are) they would splint them and tape them together. If they weren't in alignment you would have to wait for an ortho. to come set them. At this hour of night it would probably take until morning to get it done. Also they would want to give him serious meds for pain - if it there was a break.<br>
My point: If you can keep him comfie at home I wouldn't bother to torture the baby or myself with an ER trip.<br>
Keep in mind that there are tons of nerve endings near the ends of our fingers and finger tip (and close to tip) injuries hurt, a lot.<br><br>
I hope he feels better soon.<br>
My experiences with the ER are based on my time in paramedic school. Its been awhile so I only stand behind them 98%. I've been wrong before, but if it was my son I would wait.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Homeopathic Arnica 30c, three doses of two pellets, 1 hour apart from each other will really help with swelling, bruising and pain.<br><br>
Good Luck!

·
Registered
758 Posts
I too would put a call into a trusted pediatrician or a naturopathic doctor.<br><br>
If you have any Rescue Remedy, you can freely give him drops of that and that may help keep him calm. If you are interested, comfrey root compresses are very soothing and healing - I'm not sure how that would work on a 20 month old. Here's a recipe:<br><br>
2 tblsp ground comfrey root<br>
hot water<br>
1 tsp of olive oil<br><br>
mix together, consistency should be that of sticky poop (sorry!). place on hand when cooled a bit but still warm and try to wrap bandage or wool cloth around - maybe while child is sleeping might work. It's a little messy but safe and really helps to mend bones (it's nickname is "boneknit") and heals - it proliferates new cell growth. I used it for a broken tailbone and it was the only thing that provided me with any relief.<br><br>
Hope your little son heals quickly!!

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
If they were broken they would be swollen and he would really be crying. Tiny fingers are so flexible and the bones are still soft, they probably are not broken. I would wait a few hours and see if it gets worse. Put ice on it and let him get over it for a while. He might still be fussy but if he picks up toys with that hand he is all right.<br><br>
Just my $ 0.02 worth. Hope he feels better already.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone for the input.<br><br>
he seems fine - his fingers never got any fatter than they are normally, and the soreness seemed to go away within 24 hours. i have no doubt that they were injured, but apparently not broken.<br><br>
thanks for the boneset recipe. wildcrafter! i'll keep that one handy, just in case...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts