Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kitty STINKS!

Hes only 5mos old. His poops stink to high heaven like nothing Ive ever smelt b4 and Ive had cats the last 20yrs. It seemed to start about a month or so after we got him......and I did change his food around that time to Calif. Natural. A month or less after I changed it, I did notice a few drops of blood near his litter box and in his poop.....but it was only for a couple days and it went away and has never returned. He seems healthy and is VERY large for his age and eats alot. He is active and rambunctious.....nothing seems out of the ordinary except for his obvious flatulence and the smell of his poop. It seems to follow him around. Ive check him to see if he has anything stuck to the back of him.....or if he seems to be red around his anus area....but everything seems fine.

Should I take him in to the vet or what?

thanks!

holding my nose in arizona......

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well......I called the vet...and they told me to switch back to the original food, which I didnt want to do bc I wanted to keep up with a more healthier cat food regime (since reading the book FOODS YOUR PETS DIE FOR). So I switched to INNOVA.

I found some info on the internet.....one that FIBER can cause gas. Though Innova is made by the same company as Calif Natural, it does have less fiber. So ive got my fingers crossed.

The vet says it can take up to 2weeks to see results. After that if it doesnt clear up, Ill need to take in his stool sample to check for Giardia or Coccidia.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
yup, both those parasites can cause really bas gas plus some of those foods mentioned did give my dogs some mighty gas

Giardia poops look like yellow pudding at one stage & really stink

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Giardia is an elusive parasite..
you need to do like 3-4 stool saamples in a week.
it sheds in a short tme period & can be missed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.