Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I searched this forum and found only 2 threads about this, one suggesting that it could be a UTI and another suggesting it could be diabetes. He shows no signs of either but has always had really stinkey urine. His dipes don't smell after I wash them, I change him often, He nurses and drinks enough....or so it seems, but the urine is still so smelly.

Thoughts????

·
Registered
203 Posts
dd definitely has spells where her pee is STANKY. Especially earlier in the day. I bet it is somewhat diet-contigent....but it just is so bad sometimes. And I have a friend whose ds has the same thing happen.

Though when a toddler comes and sits on your face to nurse these things tend to be magnified, don't they.....

Could it also be the way that his pee smells when it combines with the smell of the detergent or something? Sometimes I notice that something smells different when it's on your body....

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Go to the Diapering forum and do a search on build-up and stripping diapers. It sounds like your dc's diapers have detergent/hard water build up and need to be stripped. A classic sign is strong ammonia smell shortly after being peed on.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Urine smell varies by what you eat, what bacteria are in the urine, time of day, etc.

First thing in the morning urine is more concentrated: hence more smell.
Diabetes: urine would be sticky like liquid sugar
UTI: urine would be foul smelling like socks, poop, something unpleasant, not just strong
Yeast: urine would smell bready or like cheese

Can you tell I spend too much time with urine smell analysis? (My son2 has urinary tract infections very frequently.)

I agree with USAmma that it's probably the diapers.

mv

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks mammas

Quote:
Can you tell I spend too much time with urine smell analysis?
This totally had me cracking up
But also wanted to send "stay away UTI" vibes to your son

I had been meaning to post about this for a while and kept forgetting. I think you are right about the diapers. Yesterday after I posted this question, Ds peed on the bed. Not sure why I never did this before....lord knows the boy pees all over the place since I let him run around without a diaper quite frequently....but I smelled his pee. No smell on the bed. Then, just by chance, I grabbed a diaper to sop it up and boom....stinky. I never knew you needed to strip diapers. And these cloths have gone through 18 mo of my first son and now 18 mo of my second....so they prolly need some attention.

Thanks mammas......I really appreciate your help and ideas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.