Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Ds (he's 3) fell tonight and cracked his top, front tooth. Saw the pediatric dentist who said it was cracked up to the gumline with the nerve exposed. He couldn't tell if the they could repair the tooth with a root canal and a crown or if the tooth would have to be extracted. apparently he can't tell that until he does the x-ray which he doesn't want to do until he's prepared to repair/extract the tooth for fear that taking the x-ray will crack the tooth even more. here's my big concern: they are recommending GA with a pediatric anesthesiologist and that guy only works with my pediatric dentist on wednesdays. which means we have to wait 5 full days to have this repaired. they said we could do it with conscious sedation, but he would have to be restrained for an hour and he doesn't recommend that. ds seems to be ok most of the time with just ibuprofen, although he does have bouts of pain (must be when he touches his tooth with his tongue). other than the obvious fact of having to keep ds comfortable until we can get this repaired, i'm very worried that he will further damage a tooth that could potentially be repaired instead of pulled (over the next 5 days). So my question is: should we wait the 5 days and do the procedure with GA or should i try to find another pediatric dentist in the area that would perform the procedure earlier (as if that's even possible, not holding my breath)??? would you recommend doing this procedure with just conscious sedation??? any other suggestions? the thought of my ds losing his front tooth is just so disheartening. and to think we have to wait 5 days to try to save it b/c of a logistical problem really irks me.
:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey there. ds went in this morning - unfortunately they we're unable to save the tooth. he did great with the anesthesia though and seems to be recovering well. dh and i are thankful he's doing well, but mourning the loss of his old smile.
our dentist seems to be of the belief that missing one front tooth will not affect his speech in any way and that a partial would be for cosmetic reasons only. my concerns are r/t 1)speech problems 2)kids or adults making insensitive comments which probably won't bother him now but may affect him in kindergarten or first grade. 3)and as shallow as this sounds, i miss his little smile. we can't do anything right now anyway, so at this point i just plan on gathering as much information as i can on pros vs. cons of getting the partial. any opinions, info, research would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top