Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have PCOS, meaning that I have a hard time getting pregnant. I've been with my husband for 5 years (and have been sexually actice with him for some time before that) and have never used protection and have never had a positive test until recently.

My job is working with elders and disabeld people. I do in-home care and all of my patients smoke. It's too dangerous for them to smoke alone so I have to be with them, they could burn their house down and also often want me to give them coffee or something while they smoke. They also sometimes drop the cigarette or can't reach their mouth to take it out, so I'm often exposed. There's other stuff in the job but I'm exposed to direct smoke about once or twice every hour but their houses are full with the smell and chemicals.

I hate smoke. I've never smoked. I'm allergic to it and it makes my throat burn and my eyes water and my skin itch.

Just now I have gotten a positive pregnancy test and am absolutely overjoyed. I already have an appointment with the doctor so that I can get on these pills that keep my body stable enough for a baby. The thing is, I don't want to risk my health any longer and I have zero tolerance for risking a baby's health. Especially if this might be my only chance to have a baby, and since cigarette smoke can cause a baby to miscarry especially when it's new and fragile.

I've wanted to quit my job for some time, but they're short on people. Nobody wants to work there. If I quit it will cause a lot if stress in my coworkers lives and they will have to work even more, and we already work 12 hour days/evenings sometimes and a lot of double shifts. I want to go back to school and become something else maybe, or at least get a job as a nurse where its smoke-free.

They said if they tell the residents they can only smoke outside maybe I could stay. I said that I need to be nearby anyway, and since they could smoke inside during the hours I'm not there it would still be in all the walls and couches etc. Their family members also sometimes smoke inside.

I really don't want to get a bad reputation for leaving when they need people the most, especially if I might have to apply for a new job as a pregnant lady. Almost no employers want to hire pregnant women, and having a bad recommendation from a previous job wouldn't help at all. I work well with my boss and coworker and truly do care about them and their lives.

What should I do? I don't want to hurt my coworkers but this means so much to me, I don't want to risk it.

I think I've decided to just leave, but it makes me feel terrible and selfish. My quitting will really affect their lives. It would also probably ruin my chances at working with this specific group again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course my pregnancy is more important than a job I hate. That's not even in question.

But I still need money. So I have to work somewhere. I just feel bad for leaving them behind. And we definitely can't make all the bills without a job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am 6 weeks pregnant and I can't avoid eating foods infused Cannabis. My OB also warned me about eating these foods. but based on what I Searched, the effect of cannabis in the user can depend upon the dose, the prior experience and/or personal expectations. the user can be high, very happy and relaxed. but it depends upon the user if he takes a higher dose. And cannabis can also give relief to some seizures in the children with autism. I read an article about strains on kylekushman.com/community/videos/ and based on this, cannabis can relief seizures and there's no high effect on the children who take it. But how about me, what does the effect on my baby when I still eating these foods. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have PCOS, meaning that I have a hard time getting pregnant. I've been with my husband for 5 years (and have been sexually actice with him for some time before that) and have never used protection and have never had a positive test until recently.

My job is working with elders and disabeld people. I do in-home care and all of my patients smoke. It's too dangerous for them to smoke alone so I have to be with them, they could burn their house down and also often want me to give them coffee or something while they smoke. They also sometimes drop the cigarette or can't reach their mouth to take it out, so I'm often exposed. There's other stuff in the job but I'm exposed to direct smoke about once or twice every hour but their houses are full with the smell and chemicals.

I hate smoke. I've never smoked. I'm allergic to it and it makes my throat burn and my eyes water and my skin itch.

Just now I have gotten a positive pregnancy test and am absolutely overjoyed. I already have an appointment with the doctor so that I can get on these pills that keep my body stable enough for a baby. The thing is, I don't want to risk my health any longer and I have zero tolerance for risking a baby's health. Especially if this might be my only chance to have a baby, and since cigarette smoke can cause a baby to miscarry especially when it's new and fragile.

I've wanted to quit my job for some time, but they're short on people. Nobody wants to work there. If I quit it will cause a lot if stress in my coworkers lives and they will have to work even more, and we already work 12 hour days/evenings sometimes and a lot of double shifts. I want to go back to school and become something else maybe, or at least get a job as a nurse where its smoke-free.

They said if they tell the residents they can only smoke outside maybe I could stay. I said that I need to be nearby anyway, and since they could smoke inside during the hours I'm not there it would still be in all the walls and couches etc. Their family members also sometimes smoke inside.

I really don't want to get a bad reputation for leaving when they need people the most, especially if I might have to apply for a new job as a pregnant lady. Almost no employers want to hire pregnant women, and having a bad recommendation from a previous job wouldn't help at all. I work well with my boss and coworker and truly do care about them and their lives.

What should I do? I don't want to hurt my coworkers but this means so much to me, I don't want to risk it.

I think I've decided to just leave, but it makes me feel terrible and selfish. My quitting will really affect their lives. It would also probably ruin my chances at working with this specific group again.
i would just listen to whatever your doctor says to do. i smoked (a little, one or two a day) during all my pregnancies which i regret but my kids dont have any problems because of it, so maybe you could stay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Second hand smoke during pregnancy puts not only your health but also your baby’s health at risk. It can have drastic repercussions like miscarriage, early birth, learning or behavioral deficiencies in child and many more.Therefore, it’s advised to quit your job and to take care of yourself and your baby. For further information read-5 things you didn’t know you should avoid during pregnancy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do many people now smoke e-cigarettes? As a beginner, while I tried only coffee https://www.vapebrothers.com and whiskey. I think to buy something from the fruit, although I like coffee very much. The assimilation of the range will be long, apparently getting used to the same taste. I really want to taste the chocolate flavor. I think that resembles Captain Black cigarettes, if someone smoked will remember. It is for this taste and pulls me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts