Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been making smoothies regularly during the summer for years and sweetening them with honey. But we now have a 15-mo DD who is a major smoothie-hog, and I don't want to stress about her getting honey in her system. Leaving it out can make for a pretty tart drink, though. Any suggestions to sweeten it without adding sugar?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I thought that the restriction on honey was for children under 1?<br><br>
In terms of a natural sweetener, maple syrup would work the best. You can use sucanat and rapadura as well but they may not melt completely. Some people use agave, but I'm not using agave anymore since I'm not completely convinced it's not a super refined food.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
i say it depends on what you are putting in to the smoothie i have done it with just balancing the sweet with the bitter frut is a great sweetner

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
i would use stevia - hth!

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
we do honey is our smoothies, dd is 18 months old. we like agave, too. stevia is great but you might have to experiment in terms of what your dc tolerates because it can have an aftertaste. there is stevia powder as well as liquid, i personally like the liquid but others think it tastes horrible.<br><br>
banana and mango usually sweetenthings up if you tend to use tart fruit like berries.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yep, ripe bananas here too. I've never added sweetener to the smoothies I make for my kids, but I always throw in a banana. They love it!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I don't usually use a sweetener for smoothies either. We usually just do fruit + soymilk. For other things though, I use agave nectar to sweeten. It's very good!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
We use really ripe bananas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts