Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,<br>
I'm just wondering if there are any smoothie makers out there that can suggest some good items to add to increase the nutritional punch of the drink. My daughter (almost two) is going through a 'no-veggie-and-no-food-that-looks-remotely-different-or-new' phase, and smoothies are one thing that never gets rejected. I think the only veggie I've seen her injest in the last two months is frozen green peas, everything else gets tasted and spit out.<br><br>
Basically, I want her to get as much out of the smoothie as possible. Someone told me that flax seed oil was good to add, is there anything else you can think of?<br><br>
Thanks in advance,<br>
Jeanette

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
How about wheat germ?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Hemp seed oil!!<br>
a tsp of Spirulina powder<br>
kelp powder<br>
nutritional yeast flakes<br>
carob powder<br>
ground seeds or nuts<br>
childrens acidophilus & FOS powder by Nutrition Now<br>
fresh fruit or berries

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
for the liquid, you could use carrot juice and/or OJ. another mama suggested using the "pot liquor" (ie the water the greens are cooked in) from kale, chard, spinach, etc. cooked beets might also work well.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
how about soy protein powder? fresh blueberries are good, if you want more veggies, how about a carrot and apple smoothie?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have had similar trouble getting vegetables into my 16 mo. old. I chop fresh greens or baby greens or mesculan (sp?) mix and put in smoothies with banana, goat yogurt & blueberries. Yummy and colorful (I use frozen berries). Also I sometimes add ground almonds and/or flax seed. Good luck!<br>
Mary TG

·
Registered
597 Posts
"UDO" oil blend<br>
raw bee pollen<br>
any green juice<br>
soy milk or soy protein powder<br>
blueberries,banana,papaya<br>
kid acidophilus<br>
yogurt

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh my goodness, you mamas are wonderful! Now I just have to go out and learn what all those things are, where to get them and what they do!<br><br>
Thanks so much!<br>
Jeanette

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Cathe suggested shredded kale, which I have tried, and you can't taste it at all. You can see little green flecks, but it doesn't flavor the smoothie. I have put in one leaf per batch, but you could always try more.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
How nice to see my kale idea being passed on!!!<br><br>
Besides kale, you can also add carrots, raw sweet potatoes to smoothies - sweet potatoes blend up really smooth and are delicious.<br><br>
Nuts and seeds also add nutrients. Put them in first and grind to powder then add everything else. You can also add tofu, yogurt, nut butters, tahini to smoothies.<br><br>
Also - for over ideas to sneak veggies into foods, check out <a href="http://www.simplynaturalbooks.com/tips.html" target="_blank">8 easy ways to get your family to eat more veggies</a>

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just had a smoothie for breakfast! My favorite ingredients are Stonyfield Vanilla or Banilla yogurt (it has inulin, which is some kind of fiber and boosts nutrient absorption, they say), and fruits like frozen strawberries or berry blends, bananas with brown spots that my kids won't eat, and canned peaches. I've never tried adding chocolate soymilk, but I'd like to. I sometimes add a little orange juice, if we have it. When I add the frozen fruit, it gives it the texture of a milkshake and my kids think they are getting some sort of junk food treat!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Great ideas!<br><br>
My goal is to up my son's fiber intake. But I'm going to be starting to add some nutritional elements, too (like protein) since he barely eats anything.<br><br>
I use mostly frozen fruits. Peach and mango seem to be good bases -- a rather neutral taste with smooth texture. I can get the mango at Trader Joe's.<br><br>
His favorite smoothie has a base juice (prune, pineapple, mango, orange, papaya -- I really like the Lakewood brand of juices because they taste fabulous and retain a lot of the fruit's nutrition, including fiber, but they are more expensive ... on the up side, they can be stored in the pantry until opened), then it usually has mango and peach and pineapple if I didn't use pineapple juice. Then I often add something like strawberries, cherries, blueberries. I used to use marionberries/raspberries/etc. but he didn't like the texture from the seeds so he came to a point (after several months) where he refused to drink any deep colored smoothie and would only take the peachy colored ones.<br><br>
I also had flax seed oil to mine (his). I was doing 1 teaspoon but Sears recommends 1-2 tablespoons (you can check <a href="http://www.askdrsears.com" target="_blank">www.askdrsears.com</a> ), I think. It's interesting -- add flax seed oil to juice and it separates, tastes and feels nasty, etc. Add it to a smoothie and it blends right in indetectably.<br><br>
Lately, for a little bit of extra tang that will still comply with the peach color requirement, I add some frozen organic juice concentrate (orange or cranberry) straight (not diluted with water).<br><br>
Incase it's pertinent to you, of the suggestions above, the following can be, depending on the child, binding (i.e., constipating): yogurt, bananas, apples (including apple juice), carrots. (There's a good list in The Baby Book by Sears.)<br><br>
Thanks so much for the thread!<br><br>
I can't wait to try some of these other suggestions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts