Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get DD to get rid of some toys for ages. With Christmas approaching, I thought it would be a good time. I initially told her that 10% of her things need to go into storage-- starting with books. I was comfortable with that, but then I looked at how little of a dent we'd made before we began with the toys. So, I decided to change my tactics. I told her that half of her stuff has to go into storage before we get a Christmas tree. I've gone through her toys this week, asking "What do you want to play with this month, and what can you wait to play with until January?"

I've noticed that most of the stuff she's putting off until later is junk-- the plastic stuff from birthday party favor baskets, etc. So, I'm thinking that rather than just bring it all out, I'm going to select the stuff we can live without and get rid of it. Some of it will come back, of course, like the hat her grandparents brought her from Egypt, but more of it will go away.

What do you think?

·
Registered
318 Posts
i tell ds that his old toys are going to little boys that dont have toys to play with becasue they are poor and also go to the children that santa doesnt visit and i give them to childrens charity shops

·
Registered
701 Posts
I told my son that we were giving toys to kids who don't have toys. And to add more incentive, I told him that if Santa comes to our house and sees lots of toys, he won't think there is room for anything new. He was seriously on board after that one! We cleared out a lot of toys that way, and then I snuck in after they were asleep and took out more toys that I know they won't miss.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I don't know if this is the most gentle way of sneaking the toys out of her room, but...

Last night I was working on the boys room and it was soooo bad. They emptied out their boxes from the move and the toys were flooding their room. Nightmare!

Also, the previous tenets attracted a mice problem. I've been told they were slobs. I mean, really bad as in negleting animal feces for weeks and leaving a carcass to rot with flies infesting the house. Their excuse was that they didn't know where the carcass was. I can understand that. Sometimes a rat or a bird will crawl or get stuck in between the walls and die.

We can be cluttered but I have sense enough to take care of anything dangerous.

Well, I'm so paranoid now about the mice problem that I'm truly dedicated to get ALL THE CLUTTER OUT OF THIS HOUSE!

This is what I did, last night...

I told the boys I would repack EVERY SINGLE TOY! And every single toy is back in a box and I moved it to the garage. I told them I'll give them three toys to choose from at a time.

I'm going to go through the boxes one at a time and choose carefully which ones I keep, throw out, or give away. The ones we keep, I'll clean really well.

They are to be good stewards of their belongings for 6 days straight. I'll let them rest on the 7th day. That means, every night before they go to bed their room must be picked up and their toys put away, except for the 7th day. If they skip even one day they're held accountable for, then a toy will be removed. They fully understand this is their consequence for not being good stewards of what they're given. If they're good about keeping up with their belongings then more toys will be rewarded until they have enough. When that day comes and they want more toys or, things then they are to give away something to replace the item with a new item. Those will be special circumstances such as birthdays or holidays.

Its still a raw idea yet to be put into practice.
I really hth

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I bag it up and if it not missed in 2 weeks - a month it is gone! Well, often I wait longer. Sometimes DD asks about it and I tell her we'll look later and in the next day or two I get it back out. So far it has worked well. If I ask her to pick toys to give away, she can part with just a few, so I've taken matters into my own hands.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I think it might be kinda hard for a kid to imagiine "10 %" or "half" of their toys needing to be packed away.. maybe try setting up a visual limit of what can stay.. say, a toy box, a book shelf, and a corner in the room for a few large toys, etc.. and tell her all toys need a home, and she can keep whatever toys can fit in the home you made for them. All toys that don't fit need a new home, perhaps with kids who are less fortunate, etc. Maybe explain to her then for Christmas, in order to have a home for her new toys, she'll have to send out some older ones.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I have had success getting DD, who is 5, on board with decluttering by asking her if we can box stuff up and put it in storage. Then as I am boxing things up I sort things into save and donate boxes. I go ahead and donate things after a few months if DD has not asked for them.

this strategy has helped DD deal with her emotional attachment to things since items are just being put into storage. It helps me declutter.

Interestingly enough DD now is keen to donate some things that she has moved on from.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by koofie View Post
I bag it up and if it not missed in 2 weeks - a month it is gone! Well, often I wait longer. Sometimes DD asks about it and I tell her we'll look later and in the next day or two I get it back out. So far it has worked well. If I ask her to pick toys to give away, she can part with just a few, so I've taken matters into my own hands.
I do this too.
And really, if he asks 3 months later what happened to that action figure, I tell him that I donated it to some kid who needed a toy. He is almost always fine with it, he just can't seem to let go of stuff on his own yet. I've tried letting him help box stuff up and it makes him want to keep everything.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
To be honest I have repeatedly gone through the toybox and pulled out tons of junk. They have never noticed. I only take what is broken and not used. I do it at night. My 6 yr old will keep every little bit of junk he can otherwise. Even stuff he has not used or looked at in years.

The nicer stuff they never use does go into storage for a month. If they ask it comes backout. If not it gets donated.

I do try having him pick out toys to donate. Its kind of pointless because he can barely come up with a mcdonalds happy meal toy he is willing to part with. But we go through the motions. I figure eventually he might get the hang of it. But for now and our sanity I have to be a little sneaky.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
i think we do our kids a disservice by allowing them to have too much junk. i just got 2 big boxes of toys out of the house last night that we are donating today. i say go for it...
Me too!

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
This is a good podcast on decluttering children's rooms. Kelly recommends "sneaky decluttering" before 5, then involving the child afterwards. I think it really helps to put out a table or a box and encourage the child to fill it with stuff to declutter. They can't stand empty space and have to fill it
. What's really helped us also has been to find a younger child to donate to -- ds let go of stuff that he otherwise wouldn't have been willing to get rid of.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brackin View Post
Who accepts used toy donations? I mean, I want to donate to somewhere that will give toys in good condition directly to needy children. Is there such a place?
My mom is friends with a para educator at a local school. She has severely delayed students in her class. She was telling my mom that they don't have very many things for the kids to play with so my mom and I are going through stuff to see what we can give them. I never thought of a school being able to use old toys but my mom said the teacher was just thrilled to hear that she would be getting some blocks, etc for the kids!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brackin View Post
Who accepts used toy donations? I mean, I want to donate to somewhere that will give toys in good condition directly to needy children. Is there such a place?
Yes
I would donate it to a shelter

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.