Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I are thinking of taking dd skiing this spring. She will be about 19 months old. She's just started walking now. But this will be in six + months.

Anyway, we want to start her early so it will be easy to pick up. But I have no idea how early is too early. We don't live near the slopes, so I don't know what most people do. I learned to ski around 12 and it came pretty easily to me. Dh has never skied, and I think he will have a challenging time picking it up.

So, I'm interested in thoughts/suggestions from people more familiar with the concept of teaching kids to ski...

TIA!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
ok, we go twice a year. depending on where you are going, there are toddler play classes for a few hours at the ski school ( Heavenly, Vail, Beaver Creek and Breckenridge ) They take them out to play in the snow, snacks, crafts, very well run and worth every penny! when you are done skiing, just head down the slopes and they have your kid waiting. They even took our cell phone number to give us updates.
Both of the kids are now old enough to ski (9 and 5) and started skiing at 4 but I have seen little ones with diapers on. They don't last long on the slopes at that age, but you could make some specific time to play at the base on the flatter areas with the kids each day, then eat some lunch and not expect much after that! Depending on what you wanted to do, you could do some babysitting for a portion of each ski day, or you could do at least one day so you and partner could ski....

Where are you going???

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't decided where to go yet..most likely a ski up to hotel place like Keystone, since dd still naps and we know the day will be short. planning to go with another couple so we can take turns going back to the hotel with kids...

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
xc or dh?
My kids started xc before they were 2 and loved it. They started dh at a little over 2 and loved it but were clumsy and couldn't stay out long. At almost 4 last winter, my oldest could tear up the slopes and do jumps. My 2 year old had fun but couldn't really turn or stop.

So...dh I guess I'd say go sledding instead.
XC--go for it but use real boots/skis and not those strap on things.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by leomom
Haven't decided where to go yet..most likely a ski up to hotel place like Keystone, since dd still naps and we know the day will be short. planning to go with another couple so we can take turns going back to the hotel with kids...
I would like to highly recommend Vail or Heavenly

Here is a ski resort joke for ya:
Why is it so cold in Breckenfridge?
Cuz Aspen sucks and Keystone Blows....

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Ummm... some things to think about:

1.) Can you even find skis and boots that size? If you do, does the mountain have an appropriate hill to start (I don't think a lift is a good idea for a toddler, even withan adult. Not only can they get frightened, but they can be squirmy and unpredictable and the lifts can go VERY high and occasionally stop and you have to wait in the air... yikes!). Maybe a gentle slope that either you can walk up or a rope-tow where you can support her, maybe... maybe.

2.) Toddler won't be able to handle it for long. By the time you get the skis, bundle her all up, put the feet in the boots, get out there, snap on the skis and get going, my guess is that you'll have about 1/2 hour in the cold at the most. That's a lot of work and money for a short time. The physical demands of the cold temperatures, heavy clothes, and physical and emotional exertion of dealing with learning to ski is very rough on children and they tire quickly, even if they are having fun.

3.) What about you and DH? He'll need lessons (or lots of your concentrated effort and attention) on a beginner hill. What about baby? You wouldn't be able to split your attention and keep both safe even if a beginner hill were ok for a toddler. The three of you would not be able to really enjoy skiing together.

I've thought about this a lot (we are in the Colorado Rockies and I can't wait to get DS out there!), but I think we will wait until he is more like 3 or 4- when he is a little physically stronger and can at least hold on to a rope tow, follow some basic instructions, keep his gloves and hat on, communicate his needs a little more clearly (ie- my boots are too tight!), etc. I agree with getting kids started early on stuff like this, but I'd wait. Kids as old as 8,9,10 pick it up with no trouble at all. Waiting until she is 3 wouldn't be so bad, I don't think!

If I were you, I'd go with DH (either bring along someone to watch baby in the lodge where you could pop in frequently or arrange to go with another couple and share kid duties!) and get him going- some lessons or you teach him. Once he learns, you can enjoy skiing together and in a couple years, he can help out when it's time for kiddo to hit the slopes and you won't have to try to help both of them together. And by 3 or 4, they might be ready for their own lessons or ski-school, giving you two a half hour or hour to enjoy the slopes too before family time.

In the meantime, what about x-country skiing? Or snowshoeing? Baby can ride in a sled if the equiptment is not available for her and she can still enjoy the experience and it doesn't take a whole lot to learn...

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I was asking our local ski shop about teaching kids to ski. This place is ranked in the top ten ski stores in the country! Anyway, I was talking to Pete Nestor, the owner. He says that he sees, over and over, people teaching young kids to ski really early. Even though they don't mean to do this at all, the kids feel a little bit pushed. While they generally become skiers, they are never enthusiastic about it. According to Pete, the best bet is to take your kids with you to the ski resorts, use the Kiddie Care, let them see people enjoying themselves, let them play in the snow, live it up and when they start BEGGING to ski, that is when you should start them. He says that way, you get kids who love what they are doing and you end up with a lifetime enjoyment. Also, he says that with those kiddos, they generally enjoy more teenager years of skiing with their parents, whereas the kids who start younger don't stick with it nearly as often.

This isn't my personal opinion, as Jett is only 10 months old. I'm just passing along what a very well versed man, who has spent 40 years in the industry, has told me.

We bought Jett great winter gear, Columbia snow suit and mittens, Lands' End boots and a really cool baby sled to go play in the snow. We can't wait to live it up when the snow falls.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Past_VNE
According to Pete, the best bet is to take your kids with you to the ski resorts, use the Kiddie Care, let them see people enjoying themselves, let them play in the snow,
I agree. Has worked great with my youngest. At least at Vail mountain, the ski school is at the base of the slopes. The kiddies can play on the snow or run right back in to the care area and play games.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.