Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a support group for SNS users? If not, is there interest? After going to an LC with 30 years experience and doing everything she could think of to do, I am still only producing a mere 1 oz of milk. However, dh and I feel that even a little bm is worth all the trouble, so I am continuing supplementing with the SNS, but it is a pain at times and I could really use encouragement and support. Anyone else?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I don't know of a support group, but I had to post and give you a
You're such a good momma to keep trying so hard.

I don't know if you're interested, esp after you mentioned trying so many other things...

But I struggle with low supply, and I've found something that works for me. I'm so happy with it in fact that I've mentioned it here on MDC many times actually, and several other mommas have found that it's helped them as well.

I use this product. It's a liquid herbal extract tincture called "More Milk Special Blend." It's often used to induce lactation in adoptive moms or to relactate, as well as with moms with PCOS. None of those situtations applied to me directly. However, I still use it, and this tincture works WONDERS for me. It's amazing. I use it daily.
http://www.motherlove.com/product_more_milk_special.php

There are also other tinctures that they sell. (I've tried several of them, and they're all good.)
http://www.motherlove.com/products_extracts.php

Here is the direct order form online.
http://motherlove.com/cgi_bin/miva.c...Store_Code=MHC

I hope I didn't overstep my bounds by posting this... I just couldn't NOT post it, you know, in case it helped at all.

Good luck to you and yours, and please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am also an SNS user. My daughter was born 3/10 and I have been using it since she was about 1 month old. I also have a low supply. I have tried everything--Mother's milk tea, fenugreek, brewer's yeast, blessed thistle, comperidone, pumping. I just had my daughter's frenulum lasered this past week because it was so very tight. Nothing has seemed to help. We are at the point right now that she won;t even take my breast without the supplementer because she wants the faster flow. I have gotten to the point that i am very discouraged and want to give the whole thing up. I keep telling myself that she is getting the benefit of SOME breast milk and that I need to keep going. It is truely a daily struggle for me.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
mobi (mothers overcoming breastfeeding issues) would possibly work for yall... i dont know of any specifically for sns users.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Just popping in to say I've been a lact-aid user for almost 18 months now! I had to start with an SNS/Lactaid when my son was just a month or so old for extreme low supply that resisted any "treatments", and we're still using it as he doesn't want to wean quite yet. So, I'm one of those "long term" users I guess... LOL!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I used it for 7 months when I got pregnant at 3.5 months postpartum and my milk went dry. Kudos to you for keeping it up! I have a friend who is adoptive bf and using a Lact-aid. She says it is WAY better in her experience for long term use. If I were ever in that position again, I think I would go for it too.

:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I so feel for you and want to give support! I was using the SNS for my dd's first 7 weeks every feeding and pumping right after, and now at 5 months she is a le chubster EBF babe!!!!
I was never able to pump much I just had to let her become a better sucker, still today I am rarely ever able to pump more than an ounce or two. feel free if ever to PM me for any support I am a solid believer in the SNS even though there were many times especially at the 2am feedings fumbling with paper tape that I felt so ready to give up. Keep with it mama's!!!
Erykah

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to everyone for your replies!

Robin - I had looked at some tinctures at Whole Foods, but I couldn't figure out from their labels how much to take and how to take it (can you fill me in?); plus with the expense I thought I'd try the pills first (didn't work). How long does a 2oz bottle last? I wonder if it's even worth trying since the fenugreek and blessed thistle pills didn't do anything for me.

Rachel - It sounds like we are in the same place. I've done all the same things. DS won't take my breast without the supplementer, but when I first was told to supplement both the pediatrician and the lc said I wouldn't have any troubles with the bottle. Well, as soon as ds got wind of the fast flow of the bottle, he stopped taking the breast, so I had to switch to the sns, so I'm happy that at least he can still get something from me. I just try to remind myself of all the good things that we know about in breastmilk, but it is so hard when he is grabbing at the tubing or screaming because I have to put him down to get it all set up. Hang in there and know that you're not alone.

mom2tig99Nroo03 - is MOBI a forum on here? That's what I was looking for. Like a thread that we could keep going to encourage one another and ask sns related questions.

AllyRae and MamaTT - I'll have to consider the Lactaid because I do want to supplement long term if I can and the sns only allows 5 oz in it. I figured when he got to that point (he drank 6 oz at one time for the first time yesterday) I'd give him the 5 oz in the sns and then bottle feed him the rest.

Urbangoddess - congrats on the ebf. In my case, it is definitely my problem, not ds's - he sucks just fine. Oh, and my 1 oz of production is not based on pumping alone, but the lc evaluation procedure (weight before bf, after bf and add pumping after bf). I actually borrowed my lc's scale for a weekend after we'd tried all the stuff for a month to see what my body was producing and it hadn't improved at all. Very disappointing. I had heard you could have problems bf'ing, but according to the books it is rare for a woman not to be able to breastfeed, so I never imagined I would not be able to do it. It just doesn't seem fair when I believe in extended bf'ing and all of my friends stop well before even 1 year and they were able to bf. Oh well, life is never fair, is it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts