Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I will have 3 'attendents' at my birth...my 2 friends that are studying to be midwives (and both are currently doulas) and one friend that isn't going thru courses, but has attended many births as an 'unofficial midwife/doula'...all three are very versed in labor and delivery and I'm 100% comfortable with them. Since they aren't 'official' midwives, would I be classified as a UC? Or a HB?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am not expert on the subject but I would say your a HB due to the fact that it wont be just you and your partner. I could be completly wrong so I hope others will post so you will have a more educated answer.
:

·
Registered
684 Posts
UC usually refers to the assistance you request and receive from attendants, not to the identity of those present. As long as your visitors have been asked to provide non-medical support only (such as bringing food, supporting you as you squat, massaging, etc.) and as long as they abide by those wishes, your birth would be a UC (as understood by the UC communities I've frequented).

However, if they begin to provide medical opinions ("you're progressing nicely," for example) or medical exams/assistance (listening with a fetoscope for diagnostic rather than entertainment purposes, for example), then you are having a homebirth with medical attendants.

Much more important than the technical classification of your birth, though, is that all of those who will be present are clear on what their roles should be from the beginning. If you want to not be assisted, then those that are accustomed to providing birth assistance need for your wishes to be stated in no uncertain terms. Conversely, there's nothing wrong with having a homebirth with one or more of your friends as unofficial medical attendants, as long as they are aware that that is what you want.

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
I agree with the PP's defination.

The way I have always looked at it is that if any one "assisted" me in any way (other than getting me a drink or something, or handing me something I ask for) then it becomes an "assisted birth".

You can have an UC in most any place (even in a hospital, though it is near impossible there), with most anyone "there" so long as they do no "assist" in any way.

Any HB is great. However, if you do desire a real UC, the just make that clear to your "observers" before the time gets here. Just know, that if they are "MWs in training" then it may be difficult for them to just observe without getting involved.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
To me, there's unattended and unassisted. Unattended means the people that helped create the baby or who will directly raise the baby. Unassisted means observers/supporters, but no one who would possibly think that they are in charge. And of course it means no payment or donation of any kind, IMO.

So, with these people, as long as they can keep their training in their heads, and as long as they NEVER start thinking that they might have more to lose or gain than you do, it might work out to be unassisted. I am not sure you'll know until after it's all over and done with, though....

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
eh? I don't care so much about the definitions...

Most UCers seem to have very general definitions (unattended. unassisted, unhindered) and apply similar terms to each. I've heard that UC mean there is no attendant, but you do have attendants...you just don't expect them to do anything...but it some opinions there mere presence as a medical person (MW or not) changes your experience and this makes it less "pure" somehow. (this isn't my feeling BTW, all women should do what they like in birth and not try so hard to lable ourselves) Focus on this little life you're growing and his future.

I just hope you feel free to follow your intuitions, aren't hindered by anyone present (including your partner or your other children) and have a joyous time.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Again, I'm not sure the definitions mean much. I had an "unhindered" birth by definition though. There was a MW in the house, just not on the same floor as I was. I yelled at her once to bring hot compresses & she did, but then went back downstairs like we'd agreed she would unless i specifically asked her to be present.

So, while it was just me & my husband the presence of the MW elsewhere in my house made it unhindered... right?

I did not want a MW present at all, but my pregnancy was pretty complicated at times & at the end my husband just really really needed a MW around for him. (my water broke at 31 weeks)

Honestly though, after I had the MW in my house I felt like I wasn't quite UC enough for the UC forum. others told me to stay so I did! I still sometimes feel like the UC girl that didn't UC!

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
IMO, if no one assists you, then it's unassisted. I'd consider unassisted having no medical exams, monitoring, etc. I'd also consider unassisted having no one tell you what to do (telling you to push, change positions, etc).

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Rockies5 said:
Most UCers seem to have very general definitions (unattended. unassisted, unhindered) and apply similar terms to each. I've heard that UC mean there is no attendant, but you do have attendants...you just don't expect them to do anything...but it some opinions there mere presence as a medical person (MW or not) changes your experience and this makes it less "pure" somehow. QUOTE]

I don't know if it is that or it is just that some would feel like it would be very hard to have and unassisted birth without intervention of some kind with others there - especially if they are midwives-in-training. They may feel the need to suggest things that you might not otherwise do on your own or you may do things that you would not do if they were not there. I had a birth with my 3 sis' and my mom present and it was very hard for me not to be thinking of them when my labor extended into the early morning hours. I ended up having the mw break my water so I could hurry things along. Not that this was unassisted or this is something you would do but others sometimes can make things more complicated than you would imagine it to be. I hope you can encourage these friends to be there only in a support position and let them know you do not want any intervention of any kind by them if UC is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
*I* would call it a homebirth, because the people who would be there(other than your dh) are well-versed in birth, and one is a midwife of sorts.(even if she isn't certified yet) Because the reason to have someone experienced there, is to have a safety net, if you will, "just in case", which isn't a bad idea, you just never know- and with UC there *is* no safety net, other than the parents getting help as quick as possible/resorting to thier back-up plan. But for UC you really need to know what is normal and what isn't, and what you are going to do if it does go south. Midwives have training in this, most UCer's do not. I *do* know of a UC couple who had a problem during pushing- the mom emailed a list I am on and said what do I do? We all said GET TO THE HOSPITAL and her husband said, you are fine, just keep pushing. Well, she kept pushing, and about 15 min later the baby was born, but never took its first breath. Yes. She died. The shoulders were sticky and they didn't know what to do about it. (The baby only weighed 9 lbs.)After that, the mom blamed UC for the baby's death. It wasn't that at all, what it was was the mom listening to her hubby instead of her body and instincts, which were telling her the baby was big and she might need some help(this was during early labor). So the question remains, is one willing to go it alone(with hubby)? Then it is UC, if you have attendents who know normal birth, I call it HB.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you mamas!!!!
I guess, if I had to 'define' what I am planning, I would initially call it a HB...and only after I experience it would I call it a UC if I am unhindered and un 'managed' during l&d
I do have my friends there as a support system and also as a safety net of sorts. My dh will be deployed, and I'm really not interested in doing it totally alone...although I really respect you women who are doing just that!
UC amazes me, and I wish I could have a crystal ball to tell me that absolutely NOTHING would go wrong, and then I would love to have a UC! But I'm a bit of a worrier...and need someone to lean on!
Thanks again ladies for taking the time to help me out! I am still gonna lurk on the UC section and try and absorb your strength and positivity!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts