Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's no wonder women don't bfas long as they should or even at all after listening to this you tell me what you think, talking with my sil last night i discovered her doctor told her when my nephew turns 6 months old to start him on food. ok that's not the problem my michelle was started younger than that but here is my issue...he went on to say that the baby should first be given food as that is his MAIN SOURCE of nutrients and that breast milk is only to top him off and really not needed as a good source of vitamins and such!! can you freakin believe that?! i am stunned at the amount of misinformation floating around out there but i am even more appalled at the ignorance swirling around the medical community!!!

so ladies what do you think of that? i asked my sil if i could go to her next appt. with her but she is afraid to take me...with good reason i'd like to give that
doctor a piece of my mind!!! so i'm going to do the next best thing and give her lots of info to take in there so can you guys give me any good links to print out on the topic of breastfeeding being the first line of nutrtion?
thanks for listening to me rant i've been stewing all night about it!!
theresa

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
My sister's pediatrician told her she might as well wean her dd at 3 months, because there are no benefits to bfing longer than that.

She did.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Mindblowing. Not even in line with the oh-so-conservative AAP, either.

This is why I don't bother listening to our dr with regards to nutrition (although they do recommend to age 2, they are backwards about the details). I *know* I know better, so I just disregard them in those matters.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The first ped wanted 1yr of bf'g but then she recommended weaning b/c thats when she tried to get bottle-fed babies off bottles. I ignored her b/c her logic was off, but she was supportive of BFg overall. Current drs seem to be comfortable with the 1-2yr range. Not sure if they know sweetie is still nursing at 2.5yrs because she hasn't seen them in a long while.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I'd stick with the AAP statement, and anything by Dr. Newman. They're likely to dismiss Kellymom as "some woman on the internet."
: A doctor like that probably doesn't believe that an IBCLC knows anything, anyway.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCVeg
My sister's pediatrician told her she might as well wean her dd at 3 months, because there are no benefits to bfing longer than that.

She did.

A lot of peds are saying this....why??? It's really annoying! I wish they wouldn't say this to us mommies...
:

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Check out pg 12 of this, from the WHO

And have her bring a copy to her Ped. Mine told me the same thing, and when I presented her with this info she said "oh, no breast is best for as long as they want" so maybe I misunderstood her, but I really don't think so...

And I can't find it now, but the WHO also states that BFing should make up 100% of a baby's intake for the first half of the first year, 1/2 for the second half of the first year, 1/3 for the second year, and can continue indefinately beyond the second year.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by danigrl
A lot of peds are saying this....why??? It's really annoying! I wish they wouldn't say this to us mommies...
:
On the contrary, they *should* start saying this crap to MDC mamas so they can be told the truth and told to STOP LYING!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts