Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally gave in to the peer pressure and bought some longies. :LOL I haven't even gotten them yet (which is strange cause I bought them before Christmas) and I just found out that my dd probably won't be able to wear them. We have been battling terrible rashes all over most of her body and were advised yesterday not to let anything touch her skin that isn't 100% cotton. The only time the rashes calm down is when she goes without clothing all day so I guess this makes sense cause I realized last night that most of her clothes are polyester.

I guess at least I don't have to worry about getting addicted to wool and wanting lots of expensive longies.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Who told you that? I wouldn't jump the gun to no wool just yet
Wool is a very breathable, natural fiber that is great for allowing skin to have constant air circulation. I'd just be sure to get super soft wool that's a minimally treated as possible so that you aren't worrying about secondary chemical issues from residue on the wool from processing, etc. But honestly, a minimally processed wool is probably better for your baby's skin, chemical and breathability-wise, than a traditionally grown cotton (meaning, not orgnaic cotton, but regular gorwn-with-tons-of-pesticides then bleached to no small degree cotton, LOL)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TOmomma
What does she wear that's polyester?
I'm picturing her in a wild '60s print polyester leisure suit. :LOL
Because our house is so cold at night, she wears alot of those soft Carter's sleepers. I never realized it but they are 100% polyester.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
I agree with Knittin in the shade...if she is having a reaction to poly, it doesn't mean she will have issues with wool.
Give it a try after her skin clears up all the way.
It is definately better if it is minimally treated. Good luck mama!!
Debi

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I also agree with the others.

We can't do any poly at all (no poly combos or any of that) but we only use wool covers. It took me some time to be ok with trying wool but it's really not what most people think it is. I think so many expect it to be the old itchy scratchy stuff from days gone by. There are still some like that but so many of the wool covers/soakers are not like that at all.

I do still avoid the recycled sweater products just because you can't always be sure what's in them or how they have been treated.

Lori told me long ago that usually when someone has a "wool allergy" it's actually more about the length of the fibers and/or the way the wool was treated and not a true wool allergy at all. So it may take some time to find what works but chances are very good that wool will work especially for sensitive babies!

Now I don't know what we would have done if I hadn't gone to wool.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
The length of the fibers? Interesting. My mom is severely allergic to wool, so we're going to be careful what covers we bring to her house. I wonder if her allergy is really something else.

·
Registered
951 Posts
My son has severe eczema and we were told not to use wool on him either. But, I tried a couple of wool soakers on him anyways, and guess what? NO MORE ECZEMA DIAPER RASH! I have not tried longies on him, but I think they would be fine as long as it was very soft wool. Merino wool interlock covers are wonderful as well as my knitted soakers.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
My DS had an awful case of eczema and I was told only use white cotton him too - a lot easier said than done!!! I thought I'd have to sell my whole wool stash but I didn't use any wool for a few weeks and got the rash under control and slowly reintroduced covers then longies then pants and he's back in them all. I did weed out some not so soft ones but he's in wool for most of the day and definitely overnight. Surprisingly what cleared up his rash was lubing him up with liquid lanolin - he's a greased little piggy every night but his skin is perfect!!!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I agree, don't rule out wool just yet.

So many people picture those old scratchy wool army blankets when they hear "wool". So many wools now available are much softer.

Have you tried a thicker cotton sleeper? Our house is cold at night too (living in Texas with a high humidity factor we use the A/C a lot of the year) and we use Hanna Andersson zipper sleepers excusively now. It's a nice thick cotton interlock that is so soft and warm.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
My kids have sensitive skin, too. She might be able to tolerate undyed, organic wool. I would also suggest undyed, organic cotton. There's a sourcelist for organic cotton diapers and organic wool covers on this thread:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=227541

Please pm me if you need any help finding undyed organic cotton clothing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well shoot! I just typed out a long post replying to everyone's posts and for whatever reason it didn't go through!
:

Anyway, thank you all for the advice and suggestions. After I am able to get rid of most of her clothes and buy new ones (ebay), I will see what happens with her skin. It would be nice if she could wear wool. I don't know if she will be able to wear the longies I bought her since they are from a recycled sweater...but will just have to wait and see. It would be really great if we could at least use wool covers because I just found out that an awesome cd'ing mama is sending me some! But if they don't work for us, then I will just pass them on to another needy mama!

Again, thank you all so much for all the info and support!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.