Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD's 9.5 months and starting to eat solids now, but we still don't have a high chair. We've been borrowing one, but I need to know if we really need to buy one, since money's tight.
:

How long did your DC use one? Til what age?
Would a booster seat be just as good? Better?

We're headed out to IKEA next week and can pick up a decent, wooden one there for $50, but I'm wondering if it's just ANOTHER thing to buy and fill up our tiny house. Any advice??????????? TIA!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
We skipped the highchair and bought a $20 booster seat with a tray from Target. It has held for 2.5 years!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have three kids and I've never owned or used a high chair.

I always held Baby in my lap, or we'd sit and 'picnic' on the floor. I guess it depends on your lifestyle? I mean, does your family really like having proper sit down around the table meals? You might want one then ...

·
Registered
888 Posts
I got a nice one off craigslist for $25. It was a model that sells retail for $100 (the model was about 3 years old, but in great shape). My DS is only 8 months, so I don't know how long we will use it, but I'm happy with it so far. It's a BabyTrend.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
ds has a high chair, so far we've used it 4 times, i do like it now hes getting older and wants to play with his sippy and teething buscuit while we eat dinner.

·
Registered
861 Posts
We used a highchair for less than a year and honestly I hated it. I have no idea why I didnt just sit ds on my lap like I did when we were eating out. It was big and bulky and I was happy to replace it with a 10 dollar booster. I will never again purchase and use a highchair.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
I don't think they are necessary in the least. We have one that my BIL and SIL gave to us when their youngest child outgrew it, but we really don't use it.

ds started solids by eating little bits of what we were eating. It all started out with him sitting on our laps and us giving him little bites. As he got more into sitting and eating for longer periods, we'd sit him at the high chair, but even though we could take the tray off the high chair and pull it up to the table, it wasn't quite the right height for us to feel like we were having a family meal.

We purchased two other chairs over the next couple months, and then added in a third a bit later. First, we bought a booster seat that just fits on one of our dining room chairs so he can reach the table (it came with a tray, but we don't typically use it).

He's used this pretty consistently, although now that he is 15 months, we may just start having him sit on books because he'll be able to climb on and off more easily. We've also thought about getting one of those "old-fashioned" kid's chairs (my dw had one as a kid) that are now sold at Target and perhaps other places (often they are red). They're easy for kids to climb in and out of because they have built-in steps. Can you picture what I am talking about?

The booster seat was inexpensive in comparison to a high chair, and has been well worth the cost because we use it at least once a day. The disadvantage is that somehow food gets under the booster and if you aren't aware of this and don't clean it, you'll be shocked when you look! I have a friend who refused to do booster seats because it grossed her out how dirty they would get underneath in no time at all.

We also got a portable chair that can clip onto a table. It did not work for one of our tables because it was an IKEA table with a lip underneath. However, it did work for our other table. Also, we basically purchased it to have a chair when we went over to friend's houses, etc., and it has been useful a few times. I do really like it. However, overall, it didn't get a ton of use and I am not sure if ds is too big for it now.

And finally, when ds was a little over a year, we bought him a stepstool at Target that was the right size to be used as a small chair, and a table that fit the size of the stepstool. He has his own table and chair in the kitchen for snacking and meals when we're not eating together as a family (though many times we sit on the floor next to him while he eats), and we leave snacks in a jar that he has been able to open and close himself since about 11 or 12 months (the jar is from IKEA, and the lid can be pulled instead of twisted off). I like that he can take his own initiative in terms of eating. I have photos for that setup linked in this thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=457464

~Sierra

P.S. I really don't know how those of you who keep your children on your lap do it. ds sits in our laps quite a bit, but I like having a chair available for him because he is very grabby and restless, and I actually like to eat! LOL

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
We use a booster chair and have since dd was little (before solids, we'd put her in it while we ate dinner, since it reclined.) We stopped using the tray when she was about 9 months old because her chunky legs couldn't fit through it anymore, lol. She still uses it every night and sometimes with breakfast and lunch. Oh she's 20 months old.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
we have a little wooden one that i bought for $10 on craigslist. we use it occasionally. we usually put alice's food on a tiny table for her.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
We used a booster seat. Wow, that was great! Only $30 for a decent one and it was easy to move around the house or we could pack it up if we went out.

Thats what I would recommend.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
btw, i wanted to add, we didnt get a booster/high chair combo seat that straps to a normal table chair.........because we dont have a dining table.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I couldnt live without our highchair.

IKEA has a plastic one that is $25 with the tray, I beleive. Its pretty sturdy, we used a friends' while on vacation. I think its $16 without the tray, if you wanted to pull it up to the table.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
we use a booster as well. They do get food under them but the way our DD eats, she could get food into the closed aquarium in the other room! I like that it's easy to pack up. I think I would buy a different one than the one we go this time but I would definatly get another booster. (ours has an adjustable seat so that we can increase the space between the tray and the seat)

We have a small house so having it use an existing chair was a major plus for us.

There's no way we would have eaten anything from 5 months until 12 months when DD started eating solids without a high chair. As it was DD manage to break a few plates and pulled a bowl of soup onto herself and her Mama (it was pretty cold by the time we got to it thank goodness!) DD has been way too grabby to sit in a lap for a very, very long time.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena
We skipped the highchair and bought a $20 booster seat with a tray from Target. It has held for 2.5 years!
:

We have a nice wooden high chair and I hate it, and dh hates it. Went out and bought a $25 Fisher Price Healthy Care booster seat and we are in

Our friends have one too and they said they'll never use a high chair again. Dh was carrying the booster through a hotel (with the shoulder strap) and some strangers stopped him and pointed at the booster seat and said, "YEAH!! Those are AWESOME!"

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
We have the plastic highchair from IKEA and we love it! It cost about $20 with the tray, so it was actually the cheapest solution. I hate regular highchairs, but this one is great! It is easy to clean, really lightweight, doesn't take up a lot of space, isn't ugly, and we can push it far away from the table when DS gets grabby

We also have a clamp on highchair that we take when we visit grandparents, and we have also used a "booster seat with a table" at a friend's house. We prefer to use the regular simple plastic highchair at home.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
another vote for a booster here. we have such a small kitchen and didn't want a huge baby item taking up space in our house. i'm a minimalist at heart, anyways.

we got the Eddie Bauer booster seat and we love it, it matches our table and we really like the wood look. i have heard good things about the fischer price chair that pp's have mentioned too, though.

imho, a highchair is a really overrated item of baby gear (and super $$, too).

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
We used a high chair with dd until she was 2.5 and we were moving. At that point we didn't think we would have any more kids and threw it out. It was cheap plastic and one of the pieces holding the seat up was broken so if she leaned back it when back as far as it could. We picked up a booster for $5 at a consignment shop for ds and I hate it! He is only 8 months old and he is already looking squished in it. Now he is 21-22lbs at 8 months old, but there is no way he would fit in to this booster until he was 2.5. Maybe if we had gotten a different booster I would like it better. Right now I have told dh that when we move I want to go get a cheapy Graco one like I had for dd.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts