Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back in town 30 minutes ago, I went to my MIL's for 5 days by myself with ds. :yawning: :yawning:

Ds slept like absolute and utter crap, of course. I feel like death warmed over. Going out of town by yourself with an autistic child who is already a crappy sleeper and SUCH a 2 year old is surely an exercise in maternal endurance.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Here's hoping you get back to a routine soon! I feel exhausted when I take my children to see my MIL at her community pool for an hour or two!

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 9 1/2, 8 1/2, 6 1/2, and 37 mos

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Finch, have you tried giving him melatonin? I have several friends who give it to their autistic children and they swear by it.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm with you about the sleep issues. DD is 10 and has just started sleeping through the night (most of the time).
My friend(who has a ds with autism) and I used to check in with each other every day about whether we slept the night before or not. I guess it made us feel better that we were both in the same boat.

Trying to run on no sleep can be a nightmare. Hope you get rested up.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Lord, I so get it. Eli sleeps well at home, but is still dependent on DH to get him to sleep (we do a family bed thing but not completely..Tom goes to bed with Elijah in his room and then comes back later when he's asleep and Sophie is with us..Eli often joins us at some point). And our sleep patterns are weird. (we are late night folks and not morning ppl at all).

In any case..if Tom ever has to go out of town, I freak out. It takes hours and hours for him to fall asleep with me and Sophie in the bed.

Hope you got some good rest, mama.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveBeads
Finch, have you tried giving him melatonin? I have several friends who give it to their autistic children and they swear by it.
Yep, he always gets melatonin when we're out of town. He still wakes several times, despite melatonin, hyland's calmes, a weighted blanket, and sometimes a prescribed sleep medication (antihistamine).
: The child just does not sleep when we're out of town.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Finch
Yep, he always gets melatonin when we're out of town. He still wakes several times, despite melatonin, hyland's calmes, a weighted blanket, and sometimes a prescribed sleep medication (antihistamine).
: The child just does not sleep when we're out of town.

Awww...poor little guy...poor mama....

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm STILL not recovered from those 5 days of sleep deprivation. Ugh, I just feel like dog poo on a stick.
: I need to sleep for like, I dunno, a week or something.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Finch- we just got back from a 2 week trip to visit family. Jake usually does pretty well with sleep, but he does have problems adjusting to new routines, etc. I figured out he thinks of his stroller as his 'safe' place and if he's uncomfortable, I get his stroller, he climbs in, straps himself in, and chills out for about 15 minutes. Then he's ok and ready to deal.

Have you found any 'safe' things for your ds like that?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm, that's interesting Shellbean. No I haven't found that. Well, actually...on second thought yes I have. His "safe place" is my arms. LOL. We tried sleeping in the same room in twin beds, me in one bed, him in the other, but he kept getting up and coming to my bed to lay with me. I lay him in my bed, get him to sleep, and put him back in his bed, only to repeat the cycle every hour. :yawning: We don't cosleep at home, but he does nap with me if he's had a rough day or is sick, etc.. He's a velcro baby/mama's boy.

The next night I just said screw it and pushed the twin beds together. LOL. He was still up a lot, but I was right there to comfort him quickly and he at least went back to sleep fast.

Being in the sling is his "comfort place" or having me hold him and rock him. Little bug.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Yeah, it's really interesting. We went to visit my aunt and uncle. THey have a pretty small house and there were a TON of people. Me, my 3 kiddos, my parents, 2 sisters, aunt, uncle, cousin, another cousin, her ds and another uncle. In a 2 bed house. Crazy chaos. Jake started jumping, hitting his ears, swinging his arms, etc. I asked my dad to get the stroller and he just sat for a while.

I noticed his way of calming himself on another vacation we went on. He was really upset to be in a new place and he climbed into the stroller and went to sleep. I'm really glad I figured it out.

he also likes to be up, but sometimes even the physical contact is a bit much for him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts